Peace Manhattan cocktail drum set

Bruce (the K)

Peace Manhattan cocktail drum set

Post by Bruce (the K) »

I'm selling my beloved Peace Manhattan cocktail drum set, after 10+ years of gigging with it. The kit consists of the original 3 drums (14x5.5 snare, 10x5 tom, and 14x18 kick, all with Remo heads) in the stock blue color plus the 3 cymbal/tom mounting arms, 3 Yamaha Steve Jordan legs (I didn't like the legs that came with it), a Rhythm Tech drummer's tambourine, and some terrible, no-name Chinese cymbals (13 inch hi hats and a 16 inch crash/ride).

The set is not stock. I've had one of the cymbal arms modified so I could mount the drummer's tambourine above my hi hat cymbals. That means there's no longer a splash cymbal holder. I've also added quite a few more of the Gibraltar leg clamps (same style as those that came with the set) to both the kick drum and the snare drum. I added two clamps near the bottom of the kick drum so it can be used with either 3 or 4 legs. I added one more clamp near the top of the kick drum so the snare can be mounted to the side, exposing the top head of the kick drum for use as a floor tom. (This effectively makes it into a 4-piece set.) I added 2 clamps to the snare to mount additional Z arms for extra cymbals and other noisemakers.

PLEASE NOTE: The set DOES NOT have a bass drum pedal. There are two ways you can go:

1) reverse a cheap standard pedal so it strikes upward and MacGyver a bracket for it from a wire clothes hanger, buy/fabricate a bracket, or get a Pearl PS85 Pedal Stabilizer. This approach should only cost around $75 (or less if you have an old pedal you can play around with). See instructions for reversing a standard pedal, located elsewhere on this site.

2) Invest in a DW 5000S Sidekick pedal. This approach should only cost (gulp) around $250(!). This is not cheap but is BY FAR the best way to go. You can use the 4 leg set-up (the Sidekick comes with its own leg) so the set is rock-solid and the pedal is now in the optimum position, centering the snare in front of you. This is how I used this set but, unfortunately for you, I'm building a new cocktail drum set and I'm keeping the Sidekick pedal for that set.

There was a picture of my set in the gallery on this site but I can’t seem to get to it.

My special price for you hard-core cocktail people is $300 plus shipping. I figured I’d post to this site first to see if any of the cocktail drum faithful were looking for a set. If there’s no interest, I’ll put it on Ebay and see what I can get.

Peace (drum) out!

Bruce
bkoller@muircommons.org
MusicMan

Re: Peace Manhattan cocktail drum set

Post by MusicMan »

Hi Bruce,

Please post some photos. I think it would help since you've made a number of small modifications to the kit.

MM :)
Bruce (the K)

Post by Bruce (the K) »

Thanks for the suggestion, MusicMan. I finally crawled out from under my rock and got a digital camera so I have some photos. This is the only part of the Forum that doesn't let me attach photos. What's up with that, John Mettam? (I just emailed John to ask him about this.)

I'll post my photos in the My Cocktail Kit section so folks can check it out.
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hey Bruce,

Did you use the 'Img' button in the tool bar? It puts BBcode tages in place for you:

Code: Select all

[img][/img]
Then just put the URL to the image in there.

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.cocktaildrum.com/models/sling/grnpdl.jpg[/img]
That will give you this picture:

- John