Cocktail Drum On e bay

matthew medeiros

Cocktail Drum On e bay

Post by matthew medeiros »

There is a gretsch cocktail drum for sale on e bay. I don't think the guy knows what it is, it is listed in percussion under toms, and listed as a floor tom. It is a single sided (no botton head) drum, no pedal but its got a cymbal arm holder, I can see a tone or snare knob and what looks like a tom holder bracket, so maybe an interesting project drum. Item # 140002792035, currently only about $128 bucks. It's got the typical (for Gretsch) 2 piece covering. It looks like a 15"X24" drum. Good Luck!! :D
Matthew
zorf

Post by zorf »

Hi Matt,
thanks for the heads up.
I was wondering; can a bottom head be added to this style of drum, or is there no
bearing edge?
thanks
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

You can probably add a bottom head if the diameter is close to the same at the top and bottom (though Trixon drums proved this otherwise...)

Not to diminish the importance of a good bearing edge and a round shell, it probably would be at least ok if you are tuning it low and muffling accordingly. Since you don't have any guarantee on the quality of the top bearing head or shell roundness it may or may not be worth a try....if it's cheep then it could be a fun and potentially worthwhile project to take on.
matthew medeiros

Post by matthew medeiros »

multiperc wrote:You can probably add a bottom head if the diameter is close to the same at the top and bottom (though Trixon drums proved this otherwise...)

Not to diminish the importance of a good bearing edge and a round shell, it probably would be at least ok if you are tuning it low and muffling accordingly. Since you don't have any guarantee on the quality of the top bearing head or shell roundness it may or may not be worth a try....if it's cheep then it could be a fun and potentially worthwhile project to take on.
Another thing to consider, If you add a bottom head I would at least try to use the same vintage lugs & such for the resale value of the drum, also you will have to come up with a way to attach a foot pedal to a drum that wasn't originally made for one( look at the legs). So if you're thinkin' you'll save money you've got the cost of the lugs, tension rods and rim and a foot pedal and some way to mount the pedal. On the other hand, there are a lot of nice percusion attatchments at the top side of the drum :!: Might make a nice project :idea:
Matthew
jmettam
Site Admin

Single --> Double head

Post by jmettam »

Also remember that many of the single headed drums are SHORTER than the double headed drums. For those of you looking for a shorter drum, this could be a blessing. If you are particularly tall, you probably want to pass on this idea.

-John