Wanted Cocktail Drum kit Condition doesen't matter!

Ex Nihilo

Wanted Cocktail Drum kit Condition doesen't matter!

Post by Ex Nihilo »

Hello, my name is Adam. I am looking for a Cocktail drum kit, and I rather don't care about the condition as long as it sounds good! I am looking in the price range from 200-275$. Thank you, -Adam
Email: Adamthedecider1@gmail.com
Ex Nihilo

Re: Wanted Cocktail Drum kit Condition doesen't matter!

Post by Ex Nihilo »

I like the idea of the "Travel kit, Mini Kit" where the snare is on top of the kick drum. If anybody has one of those, that would be great!
-Ex Nihilo
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Hi,

You might want to reconsider using a cocktail kit with a "side" snare. When the snare is mounted concentrically above the kick drum, there is a lot of snare buzz.

MM
SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

I think he's talkin' about somethin' like the ludwig gold coast kit. I've attached a picture. I don't think should be too much buzzing issues with the snare.

Now if he wants a standard cocktail drum, say 14"x24" with bottom bass and snare wires under the top head, I could see some issues there that would need to be worked out.

I was gonna mount my snare on my bass...my gold glass glitter kit. But since the kick is so narrow and rocks a little, not sure it would work the greatest. Although the added weight might help.

Steve
Attachments
goldcoast.JPG
goldcoast.JPG (20.09 KiB) Viewed 7622 times
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

SRT80,

You're right. If the snare is mounted directly above a horizontal kick drum (like the Ludwig in your photo), the snare buzz can be eliminated merely by tuning the drums properly. I was thinking of the problem of mounting the kick drum and snare drum concentrically (vertical kick drum) or using a single shell for both functions. In either vertical configuration, there isn't any satifying way to keep the reverberation of the kick drum from activating the snares.

On my cocktail kit, I ended up cutting the larger shell in 2 sections and making a seperate verticle kick drum (with wood hoops and regular muffled kick drum heads) and then using the top section for a floor tom (with its own rims and heads). This also keeps the kick drum and floor tom reverberations from cancelling each other out when they are played simultaneously.

I considering doing something more like the "Slim Jim Phantom" kit, but then I decided to go back to a more traditional cocktail set up with the verticle kick and tom.

MM