where can i find a hand percussion-cocktail drum

Sam

where can i find a hand percussion-cocktail drum

Post by Sam »

I remember going to guitar center a couple years ago and seeing a cocktail drum that only included a very small bass drum with a skin on the top for hand percussion purposes. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find this drum again. I have looked all over the net, and it seems to have dissapeared. Does such a cocktail drum even exist. Please get back to me, Thanks, Sam
Bruce (the K)

Do you mean the Remo coffeehouse drum?

Post by Bruce (the K) »

Remo made a cocktail drum (I think they called it a "coffeehouse drum") with a top head designed to be played by hand but with an upward striking footpedal and a conventional head on the bottom. I saw one and played it a bit at a music store in Oregon a year or so ago. I don't really play hand drum but it seemed like a pretty nice instrument. The footpedal was solid and the overall quality seemed very good. Don't know if they still make them...
drumguyKC

Remo CoffeeHouse Drums

Post by drumguyKC »

Hi, Remo still does make the Coffee House Drum. I own a store in KC and have all the Remo products, including the Coffee House Drum and the Gurtu Conga that is the same concept, but it has a kick pedal that hits up on to a head on the bottom of a conga. I guess it is alright to post my email address up here.
sbprodrums@hotmail.com

The Coffee House Drum has a 14" Mondo Head on top (the same head they use on all their djembes), and a 14" Pinstripe Bass head on the bottom.

The CoffeeHouse Drum is $560 with the kick pedal... pretty pricey, but very nice.
The Gurtu Conga is priced at $580, but again, I have never seen anything like it. It was a design from the Trilok Gurtu Collection.

I am a HUGE fan of cocktail kits and I had one of my friends at a drum manucturer make me 2 kits -- 10 ply Maple/Mohagany/Maple (15x24" bass/floor, 8" Snare, 10" Tom, 10" HH's, 14" Crash).