Reversed pedal

dickdog

Reversed pedal

Post by dickdog »

I am looking for some reversed pedals. Need back up, and one for the studio. I have been working way too many hours, and have zero time for a reversing a pedal. Let me know what you have. Also any other toys you might be willing to part with. + shipping. I like the plate design with the velcro on the bottom. Thanks Dickdog aka Rooster
murph

Re: Reversed pedal

Post by murph »

dickdog wrote:I am looking for some reversed pedals. Need back up, and one for the studio. I have been working way too many hours, and have zero time for a reversing a pedal. Let me know what you have. Also any other toys you might be willing to part with. + shipping. I like the plate design with the velcro on the bottom. Thanks Dickdog aka Rooster
I'm ordering a Pulse Pro to reverse. There's a how-to on this site with pictures and step-by-step instructions... looks pretty straight-forward. Just mentioning this, in case you don't get (m)any responses for reversed pedals that are ready-to-go.

I'll let you know how long it takes me to reverse the Pulse. If it works out with my kit and playing style, I'll be posting my DW Side-Kick for sale in the next few weeks.

-murph
zorf

Post by zorf »

i reversed my dw5000 in about a half hour.

I could do it again in 15 minutes.

I would rate myself as 8/10 on the handy scale, if that means anything.

You will need a set of allen wrenches and a pair of channel locks or slip pliers.

Too bad metro crashed and burned, they were selling a reversed pedal on their
site and ebay store for a while.
dickdog

Post by dickdog »

I already have the pulse pro pedal. It works great. I am looking for pedals, or other toys you all might not be using anymore. I have cash. LOL. Thanks, Rooster
murph

Post by murph »

dickdog wrote:I already have the pulse pro pedal. It works great. I am looking for pedals, or other toys you all might not be using anymore. I have cash. LOL. Thanks, Rooster
Awesome! So if you had to list one (or more) strengths/weaknesses of the reversed Pulse Pro, what would they be?

Is it very stable when playing hard? I'm guessing that the bass-plate, and velcro-ing it down to a rug would help a lot. Does it "wobble" forward/backward much when playing it?

Thanks man!

-murph
dickdog

Post by dickdog »

murph wrote:
dickdog wrote:I already have the pulse pro pedal. It works great. I am looking for pedals, or other toys you all might not be using anymore. I have cash. LOL. Thanks, Rooster
Awesome! So if you had to list one (or more) strengths/weaknesses of the reversed Pulse Pro, what would they be?

Is it very stable when playing hard? I'm guessing that the bass-plate, and velcro-ing it down to a rug would help a lot. Does it "wobble" forward/backward much when playing it?

Thanks man!

-murph
It stays put . Just don't forget to tighten it up before you play. I had it slip on me once in the middle of a HankIII song( Thrown out of the Bar) That sucked. I have giged it about 25 full nights, and also lots of rehersel. Great pedal for the money
murph

Post by murph »

dickdog wrote: It stays put . Just don't forget to tighten it up before you play. I had it slip on me once in the middle of a HankIII song( Thrown out of the Bar) That sucked. I have giged it about 25 full nights, and also lots of rehersel. Great pedal for the money
Thanks for the input. The pedal shipped yesterday, so hope to have it reversed and ready for rehearsal next week. I am so ready to be done with worrying about a pedal that comes loose, needs constant tinkering, and still requires me to play more timidly than I want. I don't mind "normal maintenance" and checking things before a gig, but having to mess with something every few songs sucks.

-murph
murph

Post by murph »

Pedal arrived today. Took 15 minutes to reverse it and it feels rock solid under-foot. I am totally stoked. Going to set the rest of the kit up tomorrow and have a proper thrash to break it in. I don't have rehearsal till early next week... really can't wait to lay down a proper pulse (no pun intended) for the rest of the band. I've been relying on a small PA to compensate for lack of volume (due to not being able to rock the kick for fear of everything coming loose).

I'll follow-up with an update and feedback from the band next week. Huge thanks to John Mettam for the awesome tutorial on reversing this pedal. Sure, it's not rocket science, but it is very nice to KNOW how something is supposed to go back together after being tweaked to suit your purposes.

-murph
dickdog

Post by dickdog »

How much for the side-kick?
murph

Post by murph »

dickdog wrote:How much for the side-kick?
It was a special order from my local Sam Ash... couldn't find one on the shelves anywhere (in hopes of being able to get a better price). I just checked my credit card statement from August and it was $245 out the door with tax. I don't think packing and shipping would cost more than $10, or so. How does $175 shipped sound?

The only "issue" with the pedal, is that the black nylon cord has frayed at the two friction points (where it attaches to the foot pedal itself, and where it connects to the end of the beater). . I simply used some electrical tape (neatly applied) where the fraying occurred. Other options would be to order a new cord from DW and install after filing down the parts that cause the friction (as others have reported doing). Okay, so let's say $165. Let me know if interested!

-murph
dickdog

Post by dickdog »

murph wrote:
dickdog wrote:How much for the side-kick?
It was a special order from my local Sam Ash... couldn't find one on the shelves anywhere (in hopes of being able to get a better price). I just checked my credit card statement from August and it was $245 out the door with tax. I don't think packing and shipping would cost more than $10, or so. How does $175 shipped sound?

The only "issue" with the pedal, is that the black nylon cord has frayed at the two friction points (where it attaches to the foot pedal itself, and where it connects to the end of the beater). . I simply used some electrical tape (neatly applied) where the fraying occurred. Other options would be to order a new cord from DW and install after filing down the parts that cause the friction (as others have reported doing). Okay, so let's say $165. Let me know if interested!

-murph

I will let you know. i'm sure that is a good price for it, but that is a lot for me to spend at this time, for a pedal I have never tried before. Thanks :D
privateidaho

Re: Reversed pedal

Post by privateidaho »

I like modding hardware. I think it would be worthwhile to craft a beater rod that was bent back in a cocktail-ready fashion. Then you wouldn't have to take the pedal apart to realign the cam - you'd just swap out the beater. The trick would be getting the bend in the rod just right. The rod might also flex, which could affect the feel in a bad way. But it would be worth trying.