Cocktail drum and guitar jazz

robertm

Cocktail drum and guitar jazz

Post by robertm »

I recently started playing (what I hope will be) jazz style guitar.

Question: if anyone here plays jazz on a cocktail set with an electric guitarist, how many watts does his amp have? I'm looking to buy a new amp but I'm unsure whether to get a large amp (50-100+ watts) or whether a small amp (5-10 watts) would work. This is for practice and low-volume gigs. And if I can find a guitarist, I'll be playing the cocktail set!

Thanks.
tikifreak

guitar amp

Post by tikifreak »

robertm,
I'm not a guitar player, but I do own and noodle around with guitars both electric and acoustic. I play a cocktail drum kit, though, and in a jazz / small club / low volume context.

For my .02 worth, I'd say a small amp is plenty loud for most gigs. As an example, I own a medium-sized 40 watt Fender tube amp (Blues Deluxe Reissue), and it is capable of reaching volume levels that will blow a jazz group off the the stage. I bought that amp because of the features it has, but the power is more than I need. A good, clean 15 to 30 watt model should do all you need it to. For bigger gigs, mic it into the PA for more volume. Keep in mind that solid-state amps (those without tubes) are not quite as loud per watt as tube amps. If you go solid state, go for a 25 to 40 watt output. 100 watts is overkill for almost everything but massive egos. Also, a smaller amp with an extension speaker can produce some impressive volume levels if needed.

There are a lot of good guitarists who'll tell you that a better sound can often be had with a smaller amp mic'd into a PA, as opposed to a wall of high-powered amps. It doesn't look as impressive on a stage, but is much nicer to carry around and can sound very good either clean or distorted.

Can we get some opinions from some string-benders out there? This is only the opinion of a drummer who loves guitars and guitar music.

Tikifreak
Dallas, TX
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hey Robert,

I think a 5-10 watt amp will be fine for your needs. As an example I have a Fender Champion 110 solid state (25 watts) and a Peavy Backstage solid state (35 watts) and I can use either one in a full out rock band. Not metal but pretty darned loud! They work great for jazz as well but they are definitely overkill for that. I used to have a vintage premier amp that was around 8 watts and that thing cranked as well. It got a little distored turned up load but I think a modern solid state 8 watt would be pretty clean. There are a lot of very efficient 'practice' amps out there now that will fit your bill and be nice and light to tote around!

- John
robertm

Post by robertm »

Tiki and John,

Thank you for the advice. As it happens I had a chance a couple days ago to play a "gig," all of three songs at a friend's party, not really jazz since I just stuck to the melody pretty much, did a little bit of noodling. Anyway I started with a 5 watt Epiphone Valve Jr. A friend played my cocktail drum and used heavier sticks than I'd ever used. It sounded good, but loud. I was surprised. He just about drowned out the Epiphone amp but someone had a Roland Cube 30 they let me use. It worked pretty well. I liked its sound and it matched the cocktail drum pretty well for volume.
So - brushes on the cocktail, low watts like the Vavle Jr. Sticks, higher wattage, like the Cube 30. In fact that's my next purchase. Unless I can find a guitar player who plays at those volumes already...Fender twin or Roland JC-120? Nahhh....
vic

Post by vic »

I am a guitar player and here's my 2 cents. Watts affects volume but it also effects tone...especially with tube amp. A 100 watt amp needs to be cranked way up to break up and get "that tone" that were after. Smaller amps break up a lower volumes but still get plenty loud. 100 watts is not 10 times louder than 10 watts. A have a 15 watt fender that in my basement will still wake the nieghbors. So for a small jazz combo in a small venue...I think 15-20 watts is more than plenty. Besides these day, guys just mike their samll amps and run them through he PA if they need more volume, which also gives you less stage volume which is nice.
robertm

Post by robertm »

Hi Vic. Thank you for the observations. That's where my head is going these days.

I just saw an Egnater Tweaker amp on the web - 15 watts, reasonable size, with many options for tailoring the tone. Of course, not sure what it's like clean but I hope to get to a city where one is on display soon.

Another thing I've found has been a plethora of build it yourself tube amp kits. All the way from single ended low wattage to Marshall size and then some. So - more shopping to do, but I will end up with a good, not too expensive amp. And I like the idea of portable and miking it through a PA system if necessary. Saves the back!

Thanks for the help guys. It works.

Robertm
robertm

Post by robertm »

What I got finally: a Crate V-1512 15 watt tube amp with a 12" speaiker. Swapped out the preamp tubes for slightly less gain, sounds sweet. And nice volume too.