What kind of sticks do you use?

What kind of sticks do you use to play your cocktail?

Hot Rods(or Equivalent)
33%
Brushes
17%
Light Sticks
17%
Medium Sticks
17%
Heavy Sticks
No votes
Other...
17%

Total votes: 6

JGove33

What kind of sticks do you use?

Post by JGove33 »

What kind of sticks do you use to play your cocktail kit? I know that it will vary according to what kind of music you play. I play in church and do a lot of cymbal work during the worship. I personally like the feel of promark hot rods/cool rods. I've been seriously thinking of buying a pair of those "rocket rods" with the foam core that promark has been pumping out. That's just my take. But I always think it's interesting to hear what other players are doing.

Take the poll. And discuss, of course...

-Jeremy
robertm

Post by robertm »

I use Vic Firth 505 Rutes, Regal Tip Jazz sticks, and Vic Firth 7A nylon tips. Too lazy to figure out how the poll works...)
JGove33

Post by JGove33 »

Too lazy to figure out how the poll works...)
Haha. Nice one.
tikifreak

utensils

Post by tikifreak »

Pro-Mark all the way. For Jazz playing, it's like this:
TB5 brushes: I play with these most of all. Nice soft vintage sound.
Ringo Starr sticks: 7AL (long), I love the extra length on these thinner sticks, 747 Naturals are very nice, too, just slightly shorter. Teardrop shaped wood tips sound best to me, especially on ride cymbals.
Cool Rods: I use these sometimes, but not much. They sound good on a hi-hat (edge playing), but not so good on ride cymbals (tip playing).
JH4 Mallets: Nice to have a set of tympany mallets handy for cymbal flourishes and floor tom "kettle drum rolls".

No, really: How does the voting thing work?
JGove33

Post by JGove33 »

For the poll, I think you have to click on the button next the option you want to select...I'm stressing the "I think"...I've already voted so I'm blocked from voting again. :oops: I think it's to keep anyone from stacking the votes. Haha.
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

I like the idea of the poll but I imagine that most Cocktail Drum players use 'most of the above' for different music/venues and depending on their kit size and wether or not the top head is a snare or not! I can give you my basic Cocktail Stickbag Contents:
  • Diamond Tip 8A "spang-a-lang" plastic tip
    Regal Tip Telescoping Brushes
    Pro Mark Standard Hot Rods
    Regal Tip Blasticks with wood handles (I use the back end for cowbell and side stick, the plastic handles crack too easily!)
    Wound Mallets
My drum is a 14 x 25 with snare/bass heads. I use a single 14" Zildjian Custom crash, cowbell, bongos, and miscellaneous percussion.

The Diamond Tips were a real find since they allow me to play ride on such a small crash cymbal. That stick choice is all about the cymbal.

The Blasticks I tape about an inch from the tip to keep the bundle together and give it more mass. They give a solid 'hand' sound on the bongos and a thick snare sound than the sticks. plus I can turn them over to play cowbell, side stick, or rimshot!

The mallets I just use for cymbal rolls. The 14" crash is an amazingly versatile cymbal, sounds great as a ride with a nice bell, crash, and suspended are all great.

- John