an observation about drummers

vic

an observation about drummers

Post by vic »

Surely the natural antagonism between drummers and guitarists is universal. I'll admit that I have a new found respect for you guys now that I'm starting to dabble. My primary instructor has been youtube, and I've found some good things.

I have noticed however that the comments on youtube instructional videos for drummers tend to differ in tone than those do for guitar or bass instructional videos. Drummers are brutal to each other. :lol: It's rare that I see them say anything positive in these videos. But the guitarists tend to be supportive of each other.
Why do you suppose that is?

Discuss.
JGove33

Post by JGove33 »

I'm not sure, vic. But I've noticed the same trend on youtube videos (I also dabble in a couple of instruments myself...and youtube is a great resource). My guess is that with the drums, the main component is a person's rhythm, which is very easy to criticize. I believe that the drums are difficult because of the coordination and rhythm, but I also think that with "lead" instruments (guitars, keyboards, etc) people tend to focus more on how well the piece flows...and maintaining that flow is a challenge in and of itself. So, when your comparing how smooth something sounds to how many beats per minute the piece has, it's easier to be more lenient toward the sound of a song versus the rhythm. With a guitar, you can always smooth out a song, but with drums, if you don't have rhythm, the whole backbone of your instrument is gone.

Then, again, rhythm is important with lead instruments too. So I may have just shot my whole argument in the foot. Haha.

Either way, I agree with you and think musicians should support one another and give helpful, positive criticism no matter how good or how bad a person sounds.

-Jeremy
Telecaster Pignose

Post by Telecaster Pignose »

Gee, I though this thread was where drummer and guitarists talk shit about each other or about their fellow players.

As a guitarist, I always noticed that drummers (bassists) too feel a constant need to play lead, do a solo, or do anything to be the main focus. While I do understand that rhythm instruments can take lead and that they can and should do solos, I find it frustrating when they always want to do this or they expect me to take place as rhythm. "Oh, you have such good timing Tele, just play that riff over so I can space out on the drums/bass." Is this just because I jam with younger musicians/metal and punk players or is this a common annoyance among all of them? I certainly notice country drummers don't fuck around but I only see them live and have never jammed with them.

Also, what's up with drummers always wanting to add shit to their drums. That extra symbol aint making you play better? Is a five piece not enough?