cutting cymbals to smaller size

tikifreak

cutting cymbals to smaller size

Post by tikifreak »

Has anyone here ever had a cymbal cut to a smaller diameter?

I have a 16 inch Zildjian thin crash that I would like to have cut down to 14 inch. This cymbal is slightly bent also - the bell is not exactly true to the outside diameter anymore.

I have been thinking of getting a local machine shop to do this, but am concerned about them damaging what's left of it after the edge is cut off. Obviously, it would be a delicate operation to perform: the cymbal would have to be supported out near the edges during this lathe operation, but not clamped so tightly as to cause it to be distorted in shape. I have seen some websites for cymbalsmiths in the US, but haven't contacted any of them for estimates yet. A new 14 inch Zildjian is about $165., so I am hoping to get this done for half that or less if possible, including any shipping charges.

Anyone know somebody who can do this? Any suggestions or other comments? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

tikifreak
Dallas, TX
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hey Tiki,

About 15+ years ago I had a set of old 15" Zildjian hi-hat cymbals. They were interesting but too soft and mushy (the edges were very thin) that I truly found them unusable despite lots of experimentation. So, I eventually decided that it would be worth cutting them down to 14".

Someone told me that they thought Zildian would do it for me since they were Zildian cymbals. I contacted them in Norwell, MA and they said to send them on in so I did. About a week later I got them back and they were perfectly cut at the factory for free!

I have been using these cymbals regularly ever since!

I would definitely track them down and give them a call. Maybe they can help you.

- John
matthew medeiros

cutting cymbals

Post by matthew medeiros »

Also, my experience with machine shops is that their minimum charge may be too high to make it worth your while, unless you find someone sympathetic to your situation
Matthew
tikifreak

cutting cymbals

Post by tikifreak »

John,
Wow! Thanks for the idea. I never would have thought of going to Zildjian. I'll contact them and let you know what they say.

Matthew,
No problems there, man. My job as a Tool Designer has me in touch with lots of machine shops. I've got a guy who'll make anything I want for a fair price. Of course, machining a cymbal is more of a handcraft / art form than just clamping a piece of metal and cutting on it. Lots of people can handle a wrench, but that doesn't mean I'm going to let them work on my favorite car, you know what I mean?
zorf

Post by zorf »

there's a few people around that rework old cymbals.

cutting them down, or re-tempering and re-hammering them, or shredding them into unique noisemakers.

Most are kinda secretive and wont divulge their techniques, but you can find some chatter at sites like cymbalholic.

i think they need to be clamped securly and they need to spin true and be cut while spinning.