pedals and heads!!!!!!! help!!!!!

SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

Hey thanks for the tip murph. By the way, your band rocks! Love rockabilly. I'm hoping once I get my kit finished and get more comfortable with the stand up playing, I can put together a similar style band here in Nashville.

I got eveything ordered this morning and forgot to add the Aquarian perf. II and remo slam pad to my cart. I was in such a hurry to get the order in early hoping it might get processed and shipped out quicker.

I guess I can always just get GC to order me one in store. Maybe I won't have to pay a shipping charge. But who knows, the powerstroke 3 might work fine. I actually went with the coated. I guess I could always use it on my 15" floor tom I have on my other drum set if I do go with another.

I will let y'all know how it goes.

Steve
tikifreak

Aquarian Performance II for 15" drum

Post by tikifreak »

I highly recommend you try the Aquarian Performance II head for your cocktail kick drum, regardless of its size. My drum is 16" x 16", but I bet it will sound great on a 14" or 15" drum as well. I also recommend the small 2.5" diameter Remo Falam Slam (or similar) impact pad for where the bass drum beater hits the head (which I feel works best right in the center). This combo is the bass drum sound that I am most pleased with. I love that I don't have to add any additional dampening. Of course, everyone has their own preference for sounds/tones and amount of ring/sustain. No doubt your choice of top head plays a role in the overall sound, too.

The cost to try it is about $23. I say it's well worth a try. I experimented with a few kick heads, but this combo is what I am staying with and stocking up on. With the standard DW 2-way beater (felt side), it rocks. Or, with a Vater Vintage Bomber beater, it's a jazz bomb. I change the kick pedal beater for a different sound, which is much easier than changing and retuning a drum head.
donothorpe

Post by donothorpe »

Hey Guys, here's a new problem to solve -- kind of related to heads, but maybe not. I've had great success with a standard bass drum with double layer heads and putting plastic foam on the inside of the drum, then using dampening foam with adhesive (from the hardware store) to further dampen the sound. But here is the problem: when I use these same techniques on my cocktail drum, I can't seem to get away from an annoying double bounce. If I kick and release it doesn't bounce, but it booms. I've tried felt, wood, and an old sock over the beater, but all to no avail. Any suggestions, other than train my foot differently? Thanks.