My cocktail project

SRT80

My cocktail project

Post by SRT80 »

I have been wantin' to do a cocktail kit for a little while now. I decided against the cheap ones on ebay. Really, I'm not wanting the tall kick/tom combo. I want to do a 16x16 floor tom. I will still use it standing up, but will probably be too low to try and use as a tom for the top. But that's cool as I mainly just use the bass and snare anyways. My setup is gonna look something like this.

Now I wont be using these, this is just something I setup for a vision. The floor tom is actually a 15x13 SP. I will be using the cymbal setup/stands. Not the cymbals, they are electronic. I will probably use the snare since I love the sound. 13x7. I just need to find a pedal to reverse and a good 16x16 floor tom.

It's just gonna be a simple setup.

Any thoughts?

Steve
ricky

new set up...

Post by ricky »

Steve,I pretty much am doing the same type of set up,with a larger snare...it is fairly easy as far as playing.Obtaining the right pedal to convert is the key.I nabbed one from Dennis at Stauffer here in Asheville{hometown} ,he had one already converted...it was a great deal too!
Right now,I am playing standing.Depending on your height{ I am pretty short!} it just takes some adjusting on the floor tom height /to the pedal beater angle.Nothing you can't get comfortable with. You still may be able to beat the tar out of the top head of the floor tom if you wanted. {like I said,depending on height...lol!}Keep us posted on the build! :D
SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

Cool. Yea, I'm just waiting it out. Hoping I can find a nice 16x16 floor tom with a sparkle finish. If I can't. I will just plan on finding a floor tom and wrapping the drums myself. Drummaker.com is local to me so it's no problem to go pick out wrap. I just love sparkle. So, hoping I can find a floor tom already wrapped in maybe silver, gold or blue sparkle. Then I will just buy a half sheet to wrap my snare to match.

I can't wait to get it goin'. I'm also considering one of those GP kits on ebay just for the tom/bass. I'm wanting to build my 3 year old nephew a small drum kit. The plan is to use that 15x13 drum in the above pic for the bass and I have the 12" tom to use for the floor tom. Then I would take the 8" snare and 10" tom from the cocktail kit to complete. And he would get the cymbals that come with the cocktail kit as I would prefer somethin' a little better.

I will keep updates on what I do. Lookin' forward to seein' pics of your setup ricky.

Steve
ricky

floor tom re-wrap

Post by ricky »

I am talking up Dennis at Phattie to re -wrap my ugly ass floor tom .I keep saying I will post pics but my camera/software is giving me trouble.hopefully i can get this figured out and post before and after pics! I think I am going for glitter too...or old pearlized old skool stuff...not sure yet! I will keep everyone up to date!