Bearing edge messed up....

SRT80

Bearing edge messed up....

Post by SRT80 »

Well, I guess my luch has ran out. When I got home from work today, I started removing the hardware to clean and get ready for new wrap.

When I removed the top head and rim I notices this...

There is a small pin size hole and a small crack that runs from it. I don't know how big of a problem this is gonna be. Or if it can be fixed. I guess the plan now is to go to drum supply house Monday and see what they think. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed easy and cheap.

I guess I will go ahead and get some wrap while I'm there....if my drum can be fixed.

I will keep y'all updated on how it goes.

Steve
ricky

hole/crack

Post by ricky »

aww ...crap, hopefully this can be an easy fix...but hey...you did have one hell of a lucky streak!
SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

Well good news so far. I talked to drum supply house and they said probably about a $25-$35 repair. To fill it in. But I won't know for sure until I take the shell to them.

While I am there, I will probably see how much they will charge to wrap the drum for me. That way I know it's done right.

So all in all, I still feel good about the purchase. As I was planning on paying anywhere from $150-$200 for a used kit anyways.

Steve
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Honestly doesn't look like much of a problem. If it sounds good and plays fine, just put a drop of wood glue on it and call it good. It doesn't look like something that would spread or have any effect on the sound quality, just my 2cents2ya.
SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

Yea, I have got some help from another forum too. A guy suggested epoxy. Said it's what he uses on repairs like this.

Everyone says it doesn't look that bad. So on the way to work tomorrow, I will swing in walmart and pick up some epoxy.

I will update how it goes...

Steve
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

A 2-part epoxy might be overkill, and a little messy to work with given the consistency of it once mixed. If I'm looking at the photo right, the void in the plys isn't much bigger than a toothpick. A drop of wood glue will soak into the wood and solidify, strengthening the wood, and be good to go. A gob of 2-part epoxy on there will need sanded down level once it cures. Wood glue also cleans with water, so if it runs down the side of the drum or what-not, just wipe it up.

I'm not saying what's wrong or right, just my 2 cents based on a decent amount of experience. Good luck! -D
SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

I definately want this to be as easy and clean as possible. Any certain type of wood glue? Elmers or Gorilla wood glue?

You are right, the hole is about the size of a toothpick. Actually, maybe just a tad bit smaller.

I thought the epoxy would be messy too as I have used it before.

I would still need to put the glue in and then clamp it to close the crack until it dries right? That way it gets sealed?

Thanks for the help.
Steve
SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

Well, I had some Elmers wood glue in the cabinet. I think I got her fixed. I filled the hole and the crack with glue and clamped it shut. I just removed the clamp, I forgot about it, been sittin' up about 5 hours.

I will probably end up going with a clear top head just so I can keep a watch on it. Right now, it looks solid. You can't even tell where the crack was. You can tell where the hole was but it's all smooth and level.

Steve
SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

Now that it has been 24 hours I decided to take a picture. Nothing special, a professional probably could have done better, but hey, it cost nothing since I already had the glue.

BEFORE

AFTER

It does look better in person and when I rub my finger across it, it's smooth.

Thanks for the tip on the glue. Now I can use that $30 or so dollars for wrap.

Steve