Hi hat options?

SRT80

Hi hat options?

Post by SRT80 »

Has anyone ever tried taking 2 splash cymbals and using for hi hats? I know on another site, someone used 2 12" wuhan splashs for hats on their groove percussion travel kit. I can't find that site or thread anymore. I originally found it when I did a yahoo search.

I'm always trin' to find a way to save a buck if I can. I think MF has some 12" paiste's for like $158. Will have to go back and check.

Any thoughts?

Steve
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hi SRT,

Here is a good thread talking all about hi-hats:

http://www.cocktaildrum.com/rap/viewtopic.php?t=630

Several of us here use splash cymbals on a fixed hi hat mount and a few even use remote hi hat stands to get fully functional hats out front!

Enjoy!

- John
SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

Thanks for the tip. I did try to search but I missed that thread I guess.

I wonder if a couple Meinl HCS splashes would work? I got plenty of time on cymbals though. I can make use of the stock hats for now. Not the crash though. I just don't like the GP crash.

I should probably just go try out cymbals at guitar center to hear in person.

Thanks again,
Steve
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hey Steve,

Definitely check out cymbals in person if you can! I bought some 12" Wuhan splashes mail order just because they were so cheap and I can always use some small effects cymbals. They worked out pretty nicely. For larger cymbals you always run a big risk of getting something that you don't want when buying by mail.

Also, play on the drum for a while before going to the store. Try and make a mental note of the overall volume of the drums and how hard you are hitting them. Try and play the same way at the store. As you have probably read here, most people tend to go with smaller cymbals for a more balanced sound since Cocktail Kits tend to be quieter and a bit higher pitched than a regular kit. I use a 14" crash for my 14" vintage drum which blends really nicely. Many here use 16-18" crash/ride cymbals.

Hope this is helpful and keep us posted.

- John
SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

I have decided I'm gonna go with a 12" snare mounted to the cocktail drum. Might go with the Pearl steel that way I wont need to wrap it since the steel goes with anything.

So, I will probably go with either 10" or 12" hats. Probably do the 2 12" splashes. But I'm just gonna wait a little longer in case I find a good deal used.

As far as the crash ride, I have considered a 14" crash. What 14" do you use?

Steve
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

SRT80 wrote:As far as the crash ride, I have considered a 14" crash. What 14" do you use?
I use a 14" Zildjian A Custom. It works great for my drum which is definitely on the quieter size. I use pretty small sticks with plastic tips to give the cymbal more ping when riding. I think many folks would find this to be too much of a crash cymbal and not enough ride. Definitely check out cymbals like this before you buy to see if it works for you!

Here's a video with the 14" in action. You can here it pretty well:

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OWQftndMqiA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed>

- John