kcronin

Post by kcronin »

Anybody know where I can get a hardshell case for a 24x16 cocktail drum?<br>
<br>
Thanks!<br>
<br>
<br>
-Keith
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub19.ezboard.com/ujohnmettam.sh ... ge=EN>John Mettam</A> at: 12/19/01 11:35:16 am<br></i>
Jason Shanfield

Post by Jason Shanfield »

You might be able to get one premade from Humes and Berg in Indiana. Or you can ask them to make you one. I would also email the people at Phattie and ask them what they do when people ask about hard shell cases.<br>
<br>
I usually just wrap my drum in a piece of cardboard and put it in a duffle bag. Was thinking about getting a piece of that really flexible thin masonite to replace the cardboard. Granted, the drum always rides in my back seat when we play shows and never gets stored in a dangerous place. A reasonably priced hard shell case would be super nice.<br>
<br>
Jason Shanfield
<p></p><i></i>
kcronin

Post by kcronin »

I may have found a solution - there's a company called Hardcase that makes, well, hard cases. They have a conga case that looks like it might fit the bill.<br>
<br>
The reason I'd like a hard case is to use it as a trap table next to me or behind me. The one downside of playing standing up is that it's awkward to bend over to pick up sticks, brushes, toys, etc.<br>
<br>
The local Mars Music has a Hardcase conga case, so I'm going to take my cocktail drum to the store and see if it fits. I'll post my findings on this board.
<p></p><i></i>
John Mettam

Post by John Mettam »

I use a stock Humes & Berg cunga flight case. Hard plastic case with casters on the bottom and a large strap. The one I got is a bit too large for my 14" drum so I have extra foam (2") in it which I love. Keeps it nice and safe. The other bonus is that the case is about 6" too tall for the drum. I put a piece of foam on top of the drum and then I can fit ALL of my hardware, sticks, percussion, and cymbal in the extra space.<br>
<br>
The case is just on the edge of oversize size and weight restrictions for airlines but I have been charged only 1 or 2 times (~$50) out of 50+ flights.<br>
<br>
I put a chain around it and throw it in with the luggage. It's amazing to have it all safe in one place that I don't have to worry about!<br>
<br>
I also use an H&B cunga soft bag (drum) and a bicycle messanger bag (hardware) for local gigs. Works great!<br>
<br>
JKM
<p></p><i></i>
kcronin

Post by kcronin »

Great idea, John!<br>
<br>
Is this the kind of case you're talking about?<br>
<br>
<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www2.marsmusic.com/catalog/29/29 ... <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->
<p></p><i></i>
JohnMettam

Post by JohnMettam »

Yep, that's the right kind of case! That one looks like it's for Djembe. I use the tall cunga case.<br>
<br>
JKM
<p></p><i></i>
Jason Shanfield

I'm having a really hard time finding a Humes and Berg case that fits my drum. That company has poor communication skills, to say the least. I've found some nice guys here in Chicago at the Drum Pad that ordered me a case, DR603AA, but its description does not meet what I thought I ordered. I think H&B changed their part numbers for some items.<br>
<br>
The case I'd like is the hard enduro conga case that has channels on the sides (that can handle small hardware) and is 31.5x15.5 (or close to that). If any of you all know what model number I'm describing in the present catalog, please advise. Any leads would be super.<br>
<br>
Jason
<p></p><i></i>
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hey Jason,<br>
<br>
Looks like all of the Enduro cases begin with DR603B and then add other letters for options (Foam, Casters, Etc). Follow this search;<br>
<br>
<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.humes-berg.com/searchResults ... <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>
<br>
Mine is an enduro with foam and casters. Possibly the DR603BABKSP ? The price is about right ($250)<br>
<br>
It does not have channels down the side just 3 wider pieces of foam that have space between them but I wouldn't put hardware there since it would run against the drum. Mine is tall enough to fit some hardware on top of the drum with a foam spacer added for protection.<br>
<br>
John
<p></p><i></i>
Jason Shanfield

Thanks John for the link. I'm still having a lot of trouble, however. I ordered a case from<br>
a super nice bunch of guys in Chicago at the Drum Pad, but Humes and Berg shipped the<br>
wrong item. I ordered a 603AA, supposed to be 15.5 by 31. They shipped a 603C. It's<br>
about 19.5 by 31. Just wrong. After attempting to contact Humes and Berg for over a <br>
month, I can't get through to get info from them about a case that would work. And they<br>
don't call back. So, I'm abandoning the idea of H&B and renewing my request for info about<br>
cases from other makers that people have had success with.<br>
<br>
If you have any ideas, let me know at jason_shanfield@hotmail.com. Thanks.<br>
My drum is a 14x27 Gretsch. It's really about 15.5 from leg mount to shell.
<p></p><i></i>
kcronin

Post by kcronin »

I've seen a black plastic hard case for a conga made by HardCase that might be a suitable alternative. The one I saw was at Mars Music. I'm planning to take my c@cktail drum to the store to see if it fits in the case - I'll let you know if it does. (Mine is a 16x24)
<p></p><i></i>
beattheskins

Post by beattheskins »

The guy that I work for in a drum repair/rental shop has a couple H&B Fibre cocktail cases. Those guys at H&B are a pain in the butt to work with, but I do know that they make a standard case in that size. Some day I'd like to have them make a case like their rolling hardware case that would fit the whole set.<br>
<br>
-Pat
<p></p><i></i>
John Mettam

Post by John Mettam »

So, I finally measured my H & B hard plastic flight case. External dimensions are 33" tall by 20" diameter. The walls are 1/4" hard plastic (Enduro Case) and there are channels molded into the case for recessing the woven strap that is permanetly rivetted to the case. Fits my 24" x 14" drum with romm for 2" of foam all the way around (should fit a 16" drum with 1" of foam around it) and 6+" on top for all of my hardware, percussion and cymbal. The case also has casters on the bottom attached to a piece of plywood that is bolted onto the case. I highly recommend replacing the nuts with the type with nylon inserts to stop them from coming loose. Still am not 100% sure of the model number. Just know it's a standard cunga case from them.<br>
<br>
- John
<p></p><i></i>
Jason Shanfield

Thanks for all your input on the case issue. After giving Humes and Berg plenty of chances to answer my questions and get my orders right, I gave up on them. I ended up getting an XL Protechtor multi tom case model number 4200. It's about 16x36. Is meant for stacking multiple toms, so has nice hollow injection molded dividers. I put a snare drum I occassionally use instead of the cocktail kit on the bottom, then put the cocktail drum on top. The case has casters. It is heavier and appears to be nicer quality than H&B Enduro. In any event, dealing with Humes and Berg is infuriating even for the patient. XL, on the other hand, it the corporate equivalent of a gentleman. It answered my questions and gave me a choice of dealers in the Chicago area. Turns out I had already been dealing with one of the, so I continued (the Drum Pad).<br>
<br>
Anyway, if anyone is thinking of purchasing this case, I could put some photos up and a better description of the dimensions.<br>
<br>
Jason
<p></p><i></i>