Getting my cocktail set soon - really excited!

privateidaho

Getting my cocktail set soon - really excited!

Post by privateidaho »

I've wanted a cocktail set for several years. At first, I was planning for a custom-made stave set, but the economy has forced me to scale back. So I'm going with HB drums, the black metal flake wrap at http://www.hbdrums.com/product/HBDBRETR ... -Ship.html

These are Chinese-made birch shells, assembled in the US. I am planning to replace the cheap cymbals with some quality ones. I am looking for a very small ride and I am thinking a 14-inch hihat cymbal would make a good mini-ride, no?
ricky

Re: Getting my cocktail set soon - really excited!

Post by ricky »

pics ?
tikifreak

Post by tikifreak »

privateidaho,
I have a cymbal I no longer use that you may be interested in for your kit:
14" A Zildjian & Cie Vintage Hi-Hat bottom cymbal - from 2005, rated "medium" at 1114 grams, engraved "Armand Zildjian" signature, Vintage logos intact, excellent condition $120. shipped (this sounds exactly like what you were looking for, a ride-able 14")
Let me know if you might be interested.

thanks,
tikifreak
Plano (Dallas), TX
matthew medeiros

Post by matthew medeiros »

privateidaho wrote:I've wanted a cocktail set for several years. At first, I was planning for a custom-made stave set, but the economy has forced me to scale back. So I'm going with HB drums, the black metal flake wrap at http://www.hbdrums.com/product/HBDBRETR ... -Ship.html

These are Chinese-made birch shells, assembled in the US. I am planning to replace the cheap cymbals with some quality ones. I am looking for a very small ride and I am thinking a 14-inch hihat cymbal would make a good mini-ride, no?
@private idaho: While a 14" hihat may make an OK ride, it won't really "crash" I use a mid '60s A-zildjian 18" as a ride and a crash. That way it does double duty. :P
Matthew
traleeman

Post by traleeman »

Good luck with your set. I built mine and use it almost every weekend, love it! I have to post some pics, but thats me,,, more about me: I use a 18'" Ziljian projection crash, its got a great bell, rides nice, and a great crash! I use 10" splashes as hat on a Tama x-hat hardwear that are mostly closed, they are more for that click sound. Also a bunch of other splashes for accents. As I said enjoy it, its a lot of fun to play...

Steve
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

matthew medeiros wrote: @private idaho: While a 14" hihat may make an OK ride, it won't really "crash" I use a mid '60s A-zildjian 18" as a ride and a crash. That way it does double duty. :P
It really depends on the cymbal, your volume level, and the style of music you are playing. While most 'rock' hi hats are very thick and would not crash well, there are lots of hi-hat cymbals out there that would do the trick.

For my main Cocktail Kit I use only one cymbal, a 14" Zildjian A Custom and it is amazing! Great ride, crash, and bell. I had to work with it to get all of the colors right. It is more of a crash cymbal but I found 'diamond tip' drums sticks with plastic tips which get a nice ride sound from the cymbal. I sometimes use the same cymbal as a top hi hat cymbal and it sounds great.

Experiment and let your ears decide

- John