Cases for cocktail drums?

SRT80

Cases for cocktail drums?

Post by SRT80 »

Well I have been bittin by the bug again and starting a new project. Thought about just building a 14" cocktail drum since I already have a orphaned 14" floor tom I could use all the hardware from. But I might just do a 16". Been browsin' ebay and have seen a few 16x20 and 14x20 shells.

I have found these cases...

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend ... sku=543542

Looks like it would be a perfect fit. I'm just wondering for a 16" drum would the 16" size be fine or maybe the 17" to insure enough room? Same if I went with a 14" drum. They have a 15" case too. With it being 30" tall, will be able to fit the cocktail drum and 14x4 snare fine. Then a separate hardware bag for stands/hardware.

Thoughts on these cases or any other ideas?

Steve
zorf

Re: Cases for cocktail drums?

Post by zorf »

I have a case just like this, but a different manufacture.
It's 18 diameter but it has a flattened out part so it wont roll when placed sideways on the ground.
It holds my 24 by 16 inch cocktail drum just fine with room for a snare and cymbal bag.

Its fine for light duty. I'm not crazy about carrying them loaded with just the handle. But you can just strap them on a dolly and you are good to go.

You should call to confirm. But I think you might want to add two inches to your shell size when ordering to allow for the lugs.
Some companies include the extra space when listing the sizes.

For sure on bags order 2 inches bigger.
SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

Thanks for the fast reply. So if I went with a 14" drum the 16" case should be good. I don't think I seen a 18" case through musiciansfriend but they have a 19".

I'm really considering the 14" drum option since this is gonna be for light playing, brushes. And the only expense is gonna be drum wrap and the shell since I have all the 14" hardware.

My other cocktail drum I had was a 15x24 and got a pretty good thump out of it.

Steve
zorf

Post by zorf »

Hey Steve,
I also had a club Jordan, but sold it because I needed the money and because
I needed an excuse to make my own kit.
I make a 16 in kit thinking I needed more thump, but actually I made a 14 last year which
Really had a great bass sound.
Kind of thinking that 14 is a really great size especially for lower volume stuff.
Lighter and less bulky. I think it looks more vertical, too, which I like.