Where can you find these cymbal arms?

SRT80

Where can you find these cymbal arms?

Post by SRT80 »

Here's a cocktail kit from jamminsams site. Where can you find the cymbal arm like this? The arm holding the crash/ride cymbal. Kind of like a z shape but with a angle to it. Been searchin everywhere with no luck.

Steve
Attachments
goldglassDanSalyers1js.jpg
goldglassDanSalyers1js.jpg (135.12 KiB) Viewed 11252 times
tikifreak

Re: Where can you find these cymbal arms?

Post by tikifreak »

The Yamaha Club Jordan cymbal arm is almost the same as the one pictured. It can be ordered from Guitar Center, but is not cheap.
SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

I can't find it on the site. Is it something you have to call or email for a special order or is the actual item listed on the site? Do you know about what it costs? I might be willing to pay the extra as I really want that style arm. That's actually what I really want if it comes with the mounts to do the hats and cymbal.

Thanks,
Steve
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

I believe most people get the right angle Z arms and bend them to the angle they like!

- John
SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

Well, I did manage to find this...

http://www.hbdrums.com/product/HBDCR-CD ... Drums.html

The cymbal arm for the HB cocktail drums. Which looks pretty much like the GP's and Club Jordan. I'm just waiting to hear if they come with the mounts that holds the cymbals in place. Anyone have a idea what those are called so I can look them up in case the rod doesn't have them. The round mounts that holds the felt and cymbals in place on these style arms.

Steve
SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

Still no word on the HB cymbal arm. But this is the part I'm talking about. I have attached a picture with arrows pointing to what I am looking for. Is this a actual percussion accessory or maybe something you would have to find at a hardware store?

Steve
Attachments
cocktailcymbalarm.JPG
cocktailcymbalarm.JPG (9.03 KiB) Viewed 11237 times
tikifreak

Post by tikifreak »

Steve,
The items in your picture are little metal rings with a setscrew in them. They slide onto the arm and can be tightened into place wherever you want them, and they hold the plastic sleeves that the felt and cymbal go onto. The Club Jordan arm comes with 3 of these rings, 3 plastic sleeves, and 3 or 4 felts, plus a cowbell holder piece. I special ordered one from GC, but I can't remember the price. If you ask nice, I can dig through my receipts and find out for you. It was probably in the neighborhood of $45.-$50., not cheap. Most of my hardware is Yamaha, so I wanted this arm.
SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

It's cool. I'm gonna make a run to GC this weekend anyways so I will talk to someone about it.

I did get a reply from HB drums and all they said was their cocktail arm has a clutch for hi hat but didn't really say about the bottom cymbal. I wish I could just find those rings with set screws as that seems to be the easiest way.

Steve
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hey Steve,

If you want to try this out as a poor man's Yamaha, get long piece of rod and use a cowbell clamp with a thick felt washer on top! The only problem is if the wing nut from the clamp is vertical when you tighten it. Look for a clamp with small wing nuts. You could also find thinner piece of rod and use a hi hat clamp for each cymbal you want to attach.

Let us know what you end up doing.

- John
SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

Well, I believe I just found what I was lookin' for. Thanks to some help on the vintage drum forum.

Set screw collars. They come in all sizes so I'm sure to find some that will work.

Will post pictures once my kit is completed. I'm pretty sure I'm goin' with a 6 ply 14x24 maple shell and a 14x4 snare. Wrap will be white pearl.

Steve
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Very cool Steve!

Let us know when you find a supplier. I did a quick search and it looks like the trick is finding one with a small inner diameter but a larger outer diameter. This little suckers would come in very handy in all sorts of ways for multiple mountings on a single rod!

Well done!

- John
SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

I found these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-8-shaft-locking-c ... 439e604635

Says 3/8" shaft, so I assume they will fit over a rod that is 3/8". Which is roughly 9.5mm I think? I know I have some 9.5mm floor tom legs and they measured 3/8".

I was thinking could use that for a straight arm for a small splash or small 10" hats with the set screw collars. Or maybe find some 3/8" rods and go to a metal shop and have them bent to desired shape. I don't know. Will stay on the search...

Steve
zorf

Post by zorf »

i make my own.
SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

zorf wrote:i make my own.
Could you please share pictures? Thanks.

Steve