16x16 kick tuning

multiperc

16x16 kick tuning

Post by multiperc »

Hi all

I've been using my microkit more and more recently and am looking to beef up the kick sound. The kick drum is a Premier maple 16x16 tom with a homemade lift and traditional spurs - I play this kit seated with the kick positioned horizontally.

I've got a very cool sound for this drum right now, open jazzy tone with beater pulled off, and a pitch-choked tone when the beater digs in. HOWEVER I'd love to extend both of these characteristics as the drum sounds smaller than I'd like. Granted, it's a 16x16 tom, but with the right combination of heads and tuning I think I can get more weight and volume...perhaps at a lower fundamental.

On the beater side I have a coated Aquarian performanceII tom head with a click pad positioned slightly off-center (note that I usually go for on-center, but I get more tone from this drum slightly off), and a Remo FibreSkin3 on the front. Both heads are tuned low, with reso slightly lower. I use a single felt strip on each of the heads; the strip on the reso side minimally dampens the head.

Anyone have a recommendation on heads or head/tuning combination so that I might achieve a louder and deeper sound but with these characteristics? Anyone doing something similar and loving their kick sound?

thanks in advance.
Ex Nihilo

Re: 16x16 kick tuning

Post by Ex Nihilo »

Is the Aquarian preformance II head a good head? I hear it is, and may get one my self.

Also, not sure if you already use one but a falam pad can help. Correct tuning, with correct muffling should help. For not much muffling try cotton balls.
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hey Multiperc,

I use a 16" kick quite a lot and overall I find that single ply heads (Aquarian 2 is a 2-ply) work best on this size drum. Of course it depends on the volume and style of music you are playing and your own preferences. I find that when you find the tuning sweet spot, the single ply heads really sing! Using small drums for kicks with single ply heads makes them much more sensitive to muffling so this is where your experimentation and patience really pays off!

I have one 16" Floor tom that I use which has a remo coated ambassador on the batter side and a clear ambassador on the other side. On the reso side I use a hoop clipped adjustable muffler and on the batter side I stretch a mini bungie cord across the 2 & 10 o'clock position lugs. I then use a various rags and wash cloths folded over wedged between the head and the cord until I have just the right surface are, mass, and position to give me the tone that I want.

If I used this drum exclusively as a kick I would probably come up with a more permanent muffling solution but I like the fact that I can adjust the muffling to the music and the room I am playing in!

Fyi, I do have a 16x13 floor tom that I also use as a kick. It has a pinstripe on that batter side (it is mainly a floor tom on a rock kit and I am too lazy to keep changing the head) and it sounds good as well. But, it is definitely a more generic flat kick sound without the depth of the other drum with the single ply heads.

Give it a try!

- John
Garvin

Post by Garvin »

I've owned a lot of 16" bassdrum kits from the Sonor Jungle, the Yamaha Rick Marotta as well as the Gretsch Catalina club kit. I currently have a converted 16X16 Ludwig floor tom from 1968. That is the one which is probably closest to what you are using.

My suggestion would be this. Remove the felt from the reso head. If you can, make a 4" hole in that as well. Tune the reso down a bit, and change out your batter to a double layer clear head. They seem brighter, punchier and more able to tune for a "beefy" sound on the small bass drums. There are a couple of companies that actually make 16" bass drum batter heads now (I think) at least the kits that I've owned came with them, so I know they're out there.

Then just tune using whatever method you find works best.

I use an 18" on my main kit, and have played and performed with 16" bass drums in all kinds of venues, so I've experimented a lot.
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Hey guys

@Ex Nihilo - I do have an impact pad in place and find that helps, definitely will extend the life of whatever batter head. And yes cotton balls can be nice for subtle muffling - I've used them in my cocktail drum.

@John and Garvin
It's great to hear from players who are using these sized bass drums and interesting to hear different approaches. I probably have all of these different heads at hand (would need to port one), so it won't be too difficult to experiment with both of these ideas. I suspect that the 2ply clear and ported reso will yield more of a deep thick sound than I'm getting now, and the coated and clear 1ply heads with variable muffling will give a more resonant rounded tone.

I like the thought of tweaking the muffling to the room and music at hand, however, I do want to find a sound that is heavier than what I have now. I'll be trying both.

Thanks for the great ideas - I do appreciate the input. Anyone else want to share their 16x16 kick sound and how they get it?