I need some help from cocktail drummers (Project Build)

MusicMan

Re: I need some help from cocktail drummers (Project Build)

Post by MusicMan »

Hi Steve,

Yes, I use tom mounts for all the drums and cymbals on my cocktail kit. I have my main drum split into a 16x14 kick drum and a 16x8 floor tom (separated by about 2"). I have two tom mounts in the kick drum that enable me to use snare baskets for the 12" snare and 10" tom (I use Pearl's S-2000 snare baskets that can be adjusted to fit any size drum).

I also have several tom mounts around the front side of the top drum (floor tom) where I use cymbal boom arms to hold the remote hi-hats, ride, and crash cymbals. It works very well, but you have to remember to stagger the tom mounts by 1" (up and down) so that the bars don't hit each other when they cross inside the drum. Also, be sure to put the mounts as high as possible near the top of the shell so your cymbal arms will reach as high as possible (because the boom arms have limited extention when you are using the bottom half to go inside the main drum).

The other advantage of the cymbal boom arms is that it gives you solid "pipes" that you can use to add percussion mounts or even an auxiliary splash boom arm without doing any more drilling. The clip-on type of rim mounts that a lot of cocktail drummer use are not very sturdy.

I also like the overall weight that the boom arms and snare baskets add to the kit because it makes it very stable to play.

MM :)
Baker

Post by Baker »

If the snare basket and the cymbal arm were opposite each other on the main drum, they would balance each other. Seriously considering this myself.
Baker

Post by Baker »

I'm thinking of mounting a snare basket and a cymbal arm opposite each other on the main drum, using 7/8" pearl tom mounts. They should balance each other. Seriously considering this setup.
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Baker,

Yes, that's why I do and it works great. I have 4 cymbal booms mounted on the front and side of my cocktail drum, and then the 12" snare and 10" tom on the other side (with snare baskets) to balance it.

Baker

Post by Baker »

Balance is important. I'm going to mount a full size snare, on my main drum, and my configuration will put it directly over one of the legs. This, to me seems to be the most stable position for something with that much weight to be in. My stacked ride/hats are over another leg, and my crash over the third. The only thing that will not be right over a leg is my small tom, but that will be balanced by some other percussion (bell, block, vibe) on the opposite side.

Still looking for a substantial 7/8" mount for my snare basket. Picked up a used Pearl tom mount, but the radius is to small to mount on a 16" drum. I'm thinking an old single mount from a kick drum might be the way to go.
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Hi Baker,

I use the Pearl BT-3 which is their standard 7/8" tom mount. It works perfectly on any size drum. I use them for all the cymbal booms and snare baskets on my cocktail drum. You should be able to find it anywhere.

Baker

Post by Baker »

@ MM:
When I placed the Pearl mount that I have against my main drum, the radius was way too small. It left a 1/8" gap in the center that I feel will cause the edges of the mount to dig into the drum, or gouge the finish, not to mention that it won't allow a good solid attachment. Maybe there is a gasket available, or I can make one, that will close the gap and protect the drum. The mount I have came off of a Pearl 8" tom. Could that be the problem? ARE there different radius mounts for individual sized drums? If not I'm going to wait until I find a mount that more closely matches my main drum.

An additional question: What is the backing mechanism like on your Pearl mounts? Mine is a flimsy plastic backer that slips into the bracket and acts as an interior backer. Not very bomb-proof, if you ask me, and bombproof IS what I'm looking for!