Single Head Cocktail Drums?

SRT80

Single Head Cocktail Drums?

Post by SRT80 »

Been browsin' the gallery and noticing some of the vintage cocktail drums bein' single top heads. So, what was the main purpose in that? Just maybe like a big snare that you can mount your cymbals/accessories on? I have noticed when listening to some old 50's songs you don't hear a kick drum. Mainly just like ride and snare. I actually prefer the no kick drum in some situations, especially so it doesn't drown the upright bass.

Or maybe the old recordings just didn't have the kick mic'd up?

Steve
MusicMan

Re: Single Head Cocktail Drums?

Post by MusicMan »

Hi Steve,

It was just the trend to use single-headed "concert toms" during the 50s/60s/70s (due to orchestral influences). However, the double-headed toms became standard since the 80s.

It also wasn't popular to elevate the sound of the kick drum during those earlier eras (due to the influence of jazz music where the ride cymbal and snare were the main timekeeping pieces). However, as it became more popular to use heavier bass and electric rhythm guitar, it was necessary to make the kick drum more prominent in rock and funk music (where the kick and snare are the main timekeeping pieces) since the 70s.

If you build a cocktail kit, I would recommend that you use double-headed drums since they are the standard today. As John points out, it also increases the value of the kit. More than likely, the kit would be used for pop and rock songs which typcially use double-headed toms with a fuller sound.

The only exception would be using single-headed "concert toms" or bongos as only part of your cocktail kit. My kit has a 10x7 double-headed main tom (along with the 12x5.5 snare), but I also use an 8x3.5" concert tom (timbale tom) primarily because the single head and shallow shell enable me to position it over the top of the 16" main drum (so I can reach it easier). However, I wouldn't use this as a main tom, but only for percussion effects.

MM
SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

I once had a 70s, may have been a 80s ludwig kit that had the concert toms.

I was mainly referring to the cocktail drums in the gallery. Looks like 14x24 drums, but no bottom head for a kick drum.

The cocktail drum I'm havin' built will have top/bottom heads.

Just thought those was interesting.

Steve
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Steve,

OK, I see what you mean. I think a modern cocktail kit definitely needs a kick drum on the bottom!

MM
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

I think that some of the early cocktail drums were really just an attempt at a new kind of showy tom/timbale. Remember that a lot of drummers at this time (40s/50s) were band leaders and had lots of solo features:

You can get a lot of sounds out of a single drum if you work it!

Also, I have seen videos of some early country and 50s rock bands where they were still doing single mic recordings and the drummer is just using a standard snare and maybe a hit hat. No kick. I think you're right that the kick just got in the way of the upright bass. This setup also lends itself to sonic exploration. Brushes, cross stick, and riding on the drum rim were all common variations used to 'orchestrate' the drum parts.

- John
SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

Thanks for the reply John. The link you posted doesn't work when I click it.

Steve