Question about snare wires

Tom E. Gunn

Question about snare wires

Post by Tom E. Gunn »

Hi all,

I don't know if a lot of people come on here but I used to frequent this site a few years ago. I have a cocktail kit that got mothballed after a project I was doing bit the dust. But now I'm in a new lounge band and the kit I have worked perfectly!

However, what happened was, I trimmed down the snare wires because they buzzed a lot. Now I'm thinking I'd like to get the full wires on there again. Is there a company that would be able to supply the whole tension knob and wire combo for the floor tom/snare? The kit I have is an Empire kit, which is basically a cheapo model like you see now on Ebay nowadays. It doesn't have the small snare, just the snare on the F/T.

Hope you are all well and enjoying playing your kits!
jmettam
Site Admin

Re: Question about snare wires

Post by jmettam »

Hey Tom,

Good to see you are still around with your kit!

I don't know of any companies that are selling parts for Cocktail Drums right now. You might find a snare mechanism on eBay occasionally or you could make your own!

There is an article in the 'construction' section of the site called: 'Making a Cocktail Snare with Quick Release Throw Off! - Kyle Bronson'

Check it out. It's pretty easy to do and you can experiment with the snare length!

- John
Tom E. Gunn

Post by Tom E. Gunn »

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I think I could possibly get an old set of snares and cut those off and solder them on. Worth a try.

I had an opportunity to work with a duo who may be a trio now, adding me on cocktail kit. They are a singing keyboardist and say player. Gigged last Friday and it was a lot of fun! We will see.
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Hi Tom,

You might also consider getting the parts from one of those "micro snares" that LP and Toca now sell for percussion set ups. They use the same kind of mechanism where the snares can be raised or lowered from contacting the head.

MusicMan
robertm

Post by robertm »

Hello - I have a homemade snare on my cocktail drum that I made from a regular snare drum snare. I took the two ends of the snare, cut the wires to 3 1/2 inches, kind of a paintbrush looking shape. I mounted them on a rim-clamp damper - took the damper pad off and put a screw through the metal ends of the snares, clamped the solid snare ends in a fan shape with the cut wire ends on the drumhead, two pieces on the one rim clamp. It works pretty well, doesn't have quite the oomph of a full snare drum, but a pro drummer that tried it was impressed with the sound of it.