Larger port for the main drum?

Baker

Re: Larger port for the main drum?

Post by Baker »

It def. improved the kick sound; less resonance and overtone, more thump. With the port, I can add or subtract a muffling device as needed. I made a little round "Pillow" that I can toss in when using a kick mic and the thing sounds like a 22" kick drum! Even though the top is not 'snared," I'm considering an experiment with a high density foam baffle to divide the top and bottom halves. As far as the top goes, I'm thinking of going with a heavy single ply head now. The coated pinstripe I'm using is a bit flat sounding, but with some tuning, I've got it about where I want it though. Good rumble. Kinda like a vintage "big band" sound.

On a side note: Since I'm more of a trad cross-hand drummer, and I'm using a full sized snare on a dedicated stand, I decided to mount the clamp and small Z arm (from my 8" snare, which I'm not using) on my snare shell. Not as a drum mounting arm, but as a cymbal mount. On it, I placed an aux hi-hat mount, and my 12" bliss hats. I feel much more comfortable playing with them to my left. The crash/ride and splash are still off to my middle/right, but that's how my regular kit is set up to. BTW, my new Dream Contact 12" splash sounds great. Bright and crisp, not very trashy at all.

So much experimentation - I love it!
Last edited by Baker on Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Here's the port.

Baker

Post by Baker »

Played the "Jim Thorpe Fall Foliage Festival" this weekend. Outdoors of course. Sound man at the venue mic'd my main drum, through the port cut in the side, with a standard mic. Not sure what brand/model, but with a little experimentation it sounded amazing. Since my tom side is tuned low - near the frequency of the kick, I was able to emulate some cool double kick patterns. The drummer from the band on after us was listening from the parking lot, and nearly pooped himself when he saw I was playing a cocktail! Denny Seiwell's (of Paul Mc and Wings) brother Daryl was there, and commented that he hadn't seen a cocktail kit in 40 years! He sent him pics of my kit!!
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Baker,

Looks good! Send more pics when you can.

MM :)