Larger port for the main drum?

Baker

Larger port for the main drum?

Post by Baker »

Looking to reduce the back pressure in main drum to get more punch from the kick and stop rebounding of the top head.
Your thoughts?
Purists, avert your eyes - I'm currently researching to see if boring a larger port, or multiple smaller ones, in the shell will improve the performance. My drums will be mic'd (perhaps the port will help here too) so I'm thinking that playability will offset reduced acoustic properties. I know it sounds extreme but, to me, it's no more odd than filling the bottom with cotton balls.
MusicMan

Re: Larger port for the main drum?

Post by MusicMan »

Hi,

I couldn't find a good solution to that problem so I finally just cut my 16x24 shell into a 14x16 (kick) and 8x16 (tom) and separated them. This really helped the sound of the kick drum a lot because I was also able to use regular kick drum heads with the port on the top (resonant) head.

I also put an internal mic in the kick drum, so the isolation helped with that too.

MM :)
Baker

Post by Baker »

Now THIS might be a solution to a LOT of kick/tom resonance issues. To experiment, I'd rather sacrifice a head than a shell!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM-3ga2Stvg
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Baker,

Well, you couldn't use a KickPort on a cocktail drum without sacrificing the top head (which a single shell cocktail drum usually requires for a snare or tom sound). When I experimented with both the long single shell and a split shell, I found that splitting the shell provides many more options for better sound because it allows for isolation of the kick drum and the use of regular kick drum heads.

Since the two shells are concentrically mounted only about 2" apart, it still retains the look of a traditional single shell. Of course, you need to use a 16" diameter shell so that there are hoops and kick drum heads that will fit. I'm not aware of anyone who makes heads for a 14" or 15" kick drum.

SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

For a 14" or 15" drum you could always use a coated powerstroke 3 for the kick drum head. That's what I'm using on my 14x24. I even used the same head when I had the 15" cocktail drum.

And you can get the wood hoops/claws for 14" and 15" drums too.

Steve
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Hi Steve,

You're right. There are some drum kits with wooden hoops and claws on all the smaller toms. Those kind of hoops could be used with a standared 14" or 15" head on a cocktail drum. I decided to go with the 16" so I could use standard kick drum hoops, heads, and hardware.

Tom E. Gunn

Post by Tom E. Gunn »

This should do the trick. Works GREAT for me!

http://www.remo.com/portal/products/2/5 ... _ring.html
Baker

Post by Baker »

Tom E. Gunn wrote:This should do the trick. Works GREAT for me!

http://www.remo.com/portal/products/2/5 ... _ring.html
Hmm. Are you using them on both sides of the main drum?
Tom E. Gunn

Post by Tom E. Gunn »

I use the Muff'l one just the kick drum side. I get a nice booming bass drum sound. For the kick, I'm running a coated Ambassador to warm it up a bit. I didn't see the need to go with any thicker head since I have the Muff'l system on there. The top of the drum I have a clear Emperor.
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Tom E,

Are you using the whole Muff'l ring (with the foam) or just the plastic tray?

Tom E. Gunn

Post by Tom E. Gunn »

MM,

I'm using exactly what you see in the link I posted. The whole tray and foam combo. This works quite well because you can remove it and not worry about the ring sticking permanently to the head.
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Tom E,

What size is your main drum?

MM
Tom E. Gunn

Post by Tom E. Gunn »

16 across x 24 deep.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Well, I did it. I cut a 4" port in the side of my main drum, in the bottom third of the drum. Sounds pretty goo already. I'll now begin the process to find the right sound combination. How did I come up with the formula to calculate the hole size? Well, it was pretty complicated. First I measured the diameter and depth of the drum, took into consideration what heads I was using, thought about how to mic it, sticks, type of music I play, and factored in global rotation and air pressure - Then........ chose the hole saw I used to cut the opening in the wall for my dryer vent, 'cause it was the only one I had handy! :lol:

I was going to mount it in the drill press to cut it, but when I weighed the shell damage risks, I decided to use a 1/2" hand drill and take my time. It came out pretty nice. I sanded the shell edge with 80, 120, and then 220 sand paper. I'm going to seal the edge with clear finish and apply some sort of gasket to prevent chipping of the veneers at the opening.
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Baker,

How does the hole in the side affect the sound of the drum?