Aquarian Head Question...

Baker

Aquarian Head Question...

Post by Baker »

How does the Performance II w/o the dot compare to the one WITH the "Power Dot?" Thinking of placing this on the kick side of my 15X24, but not sure which would work best for this application. Coated pinstripe on top.
Tom E. Gunn

Re: Aquarian Head Question...

Post by Tom E. Gunn »

Hello friend.

After some experimenting with my cocktailer, I kept a single ply head on the bottom of all the drums including the main tom/bass drum, since I always go with a single ply as a resonant on all of my kits (as I'm sure 99 percent of drummers do on their trap kits as well). Of course the cocktail main drum is a different beast from a conventional bass drum, but you still want the resonant head to well, resonate! Keeping this in mind, I'd go with a Remo Powerstroke III clear as your batter head. That way you get a single ply head with some muffling. Or go with a clear Ambassador (or coated) and a felt strip. Also, try a Remo stick on patch (forget what they are called) where the beater hits to give you some more clarity.

Just a thought...
Baker

Post by Baker »

At this point I'm open to all options. Thanks for the insight. I'll take it into consideration. I did order a Perf. II to try, but I still have many other options. I never get rid of older heads, so I'm sure I'll find the right combination with something I've got.
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Hi Baker,

If you are using a regular steel tom tom hoop for your 15x24 main cocktail drum, I think the 15" Aquarian Performance II w/power dot would be the best option. The thick, 2-ply head will give you the lowest pitch and the power dot will give some durability and take the place of the beater patch that you would use on a regular size kick drum had.

In my opinion, you need to get the deepest fundamental pitch for a 15" kick drum, so I would not use a single ply head. Also, you probably don't want to resonate the top head of your cocktail drum too much because it will rattle your snares or sound your floor tom sound every time you hit the kick pedal.

MM :)
Last edited by MusicMan on Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baker

Post by Baker »

I'll let you know, when it comes in.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Well, sometimes you should leave well enough alone. I set up the perf II when it came today, played it for about 30 minutes, and put the Coated pinstripe right back on, to stay. Too much attack, and not enough warmth with the Aquarian head.