Rim Click Ideas

Tom E. Gunn

Rim Click Ideas

Post by Tom E. Gunn »

Hi. My new cocktail kit has a side snare that is 8 inches and is not good for rim clicks because of its size. The main drum is a 15"x24" and because of the depth, and the fact that resting my hand on the head when doing rim clicks muffles the bass drum too much, I need another option there as well.

Has anyone used a Jam Block and if so, how do you mount it? Is there a way to attach it to the metal hoop on the top of the main drum? I'd rather not try and hang or attach another item off the single, z-arm that now holds my hats, crash/ride and cowbell.
Baker

Re: Rim Click Ideas

Post by Baker »

That is just one more reason I decided to go with a full size snare. We play a few ballads, and the little drum just "couldn't"

This, however, would do the trick for you:
http://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/ ... n-hardware

They are also available from LP, Rhythm Tech, and others.
I personally use a separate percussion stand with a block, cow bell, chimes, tambo, and vibraslap mounted on it.
Tom E. Gunn

Post by Tom E. Gunn »

I kind of solved the problem. I lay my stick flat on the 8 inch snare, and cross-stick on the very end of the cowbell located nearby. It controls the stick so you don't get a lot of rebound on the cowbell, and surprisingly, sounds like a rim click.

I'm going to post pictures soon of my kit. I've been so busy and so has my wife (the one with the good camera phone!) that I haven't gotten around to it, but will try tonight!
privateidaho

Post by privateidaho »

I have struggled with rim clicks too. I do them on the upper (floor tom) side of the bass drum, which is 16 inches in diameter. True, having the stick on the top head does muffle the bass drum so I lift up the butt end of the stick to match the bass drum hits. Rim clicks on a big 16 inch drum sound really rich and full so I like to keep them there.