Switching legs

privateidaho

Switching legs

Post by privateidaho »

I do this as a way to deal with fatigue. I play a trap set so I am very used to using my left foot to keep time. It is much harder to have my left foot do as much as my right foot, so I tend to switch on the songs with simpler bass drum parts. In all, I'd say I use my left foot about a third of the time and right foot two-thirds.

Does anyone else switch feet? How do you improve your left foot skills?
Tom E. Gunn

Re: Switching legs

Post by Tom E. Gunn »

Welcome to the site!

I've been doing the cocktail thing as an side-project for a few years now. So I only play maybe four or five gigs a years with it. I'm actually playing our Holiday Party at work for the 'cocktail hour' portion of the event. How fitting, no?

Anyway, yes, switching feet helps. I stand and play and don't lean or sit down. I feel sitting defeats the purpose of playing a cocktail kit: The Visibility!!! However, I have had pains in my non-bass drum foot and hip. So switching up helps, but even then it's really awkward. The only way to really strengthen your muscles is to play you kit more. I practice for about 15-20 minutes a day on the cocktail kit before an upcoming gig.

Hope this helps.
Baker

Re: Switching legs

Post by Baker »

I do switch feet on the pedal sometimes, but I've also learned a technique that seems to help. Some songs require a bit more "kick" so for those, I stand fully on my left foot, rocking between the ball and heel, and essentially stomp the pedal w/ mt right. On softer songs or those requiring less bass drum I shift a good portion of my weight to ball of my left foot, and the heel of right foot, and just "toe" the pedal. Left foot position is also important. the farther back you hold your left foot, the less pressure on the hip.