Rods

Tom E. Gunn

Rods

Post by Tom E. Gunn »

I have some Hot Rods (I think that's what they are called) that have had several of the dowels chipping or breaking off so I only have half on there on one of the bundles.

What are some good rods to use on a cocktail kit?
PETER

Re: Rods

Post by PETER »

Hi,Tom!
I prefer using the Route 505.Which I think they kind of long lasting abit! although it may sound a littile soft when playing on the Ride cymbal(If mic up,I normally position the Over-head mic near to the Ride cymbal).
Regards,
Peter
robertm

Post by robertm »

I, too, use the Vic Firth Routes 505, and they are really good for cocktail drums - had them for years, and no breakage whatsoever. Peter is right - they can be a bit soft on cymbals but if I need a really beefy cymbal hit, I turn the Rutes around and use the handle end on the cymbal. That gets a real whomp out of it! I think they are one of the best stick substitutes for drums.
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Hi,

I love the Rute 505s too, but I've found that the Flix Tips work even better (see link below). They are similar to the Rute except that they have a real nylon stick tip on the end for much better cymbal sound and attack. They "yellow" colored ones work the best.

http://www.flixproducts.com/productstips.html

MM :)
robertm

Post by robertm »

Cool! I'm definitely going to look at, and possibly get these. thanks for the information.