Need crash/ride, mini-hihat ideas

Tom E. Gunn

Need crash/ride, mini-hihat ideas

Post by Tom E. Gunn »

This has been addressed before, but can you all give me some ideas on what is a good 10-12 inch hihat and 18 inch crash/ride combo? Brand, weight, price... are all important considerations.

I recently played a gig with my current cymbal set up: Two 10 inch Wuhan splash cymbals paired together for the hats, and a 17 inch Medium, Paiste PST5 crash as my crash/ride. Both serviceable, but really, the hats aren't hats and didn't cut it for the gig. Also, the Medium crash is a bit too washy and another thing is, I need a bigger cymbal to get closer in to the bell.

I've seen and heard Dream Bliss mentioned here as well as the cheaper Zildjian mini hats and crash/ride. I'd like some feedback on both, and other brands, if possible.

Thanks, and happy cocktailing!
privateidaho

Re: Need crash/ride, mini-hihat ideas

Post by privateidaho »

I really like my pair of Meinl Classics 10 inch hats and they are affordable. I got them new.

I had been using a Sabian B8 14 inch bottom hihat (low-end model) for a ride but it was too clangy. I am now using a 16 inch Sabian XS20 (mid-level model) medium crash for a crash/ride and I love it. It is surprisingly heavy for a crash and makes a good ride, and of course you can crash it too. It has the dusky sound of a Zildjian K.

Personally. I think an 18 inch cymbal would overpower the smaller drums on a cocktail set.
Tom E. Gunn

Post by Tom E. Gunn »

I think I'll try pairing those Meinl hats you mentioned with my Paiste crash. They should be compatible, being that both are made in Germany (the lower end Paiste pies are German-born and not from Switzerland).

thanks, Idaho!

Tom
privateidaho

Post by privateidaho »

You're welcome. It's too bad there's no purpose made dwarf ride 16 inches and under. The very best dwarf ride I heard was a Zildjian K 15 inch top hat. It was made with some kind of fancying hammering technique and had a wild, burned look. Some kind of newer model. Man, that sounded so sweet as a ride, but it was out of my price range.

I urge you to play any cymbal before you buy it for this purpose. Most crashes are just too light and lack the definition and overtones to make a good dwarf ride. I got my XS20 for $40 after trying many, many others that were too clangy or too washy. I think any crash labeled medium or heavy is a good candidate.

You might be able to get a set of the Meinl mini hats on eBay but they are not particularly expensive when new.
robertm

Post by robertm »

I must have spent close to $700 trying to find a good crash/ride cymbal, ended up using a Sabian B8 14 in. thin crash. It was the first one I ever bought, and the least expensive! Oh, well, live and learn. Also, a pair of Wuhan 8 in. splashes on an X-hat holder. They sound good and don't overpower anything.
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

privateidaho wrote:You're welcome. It's too bad there's no purpose made dwarf ride 16 inches and under. I urge you to play any cymbal before you buy it for this purpose. Most crashes are just too light and lack the definition and overtones to make a good dwarf ride.
Hi,

Another consideration are the 17" ride cymbals (e.g. Zildjian El Sonido, Bliss Vintage, Sabian Pro) that are also designed to be crash cymbals. However, these are probably the same weight as a heavier 16" crash cymbal.

Like someone else noted here, an 18" crash/ride is tempting, but might be too big for most cocktail kits (especially those with simple cymbal mounts that are close to the shell).

I'm currently using Zildjian A Custom 12" hi-hats, A Custom 16" crash (ride), 14" A Custom Fast crash, and 10" A Custom EFX (prototype).

MM :)
Baker

Post by Baker »

I am a complete Dream cymbal convert. I cannot tell you how much I like these plates. I'm using 12" Bliss hats, 20" Bliss ride, 12" Contact splash, 18" Bliss crash/ride, and soon will be adding a 14" Bliss crash. Yes, they all fit nicely on my kit. Currently undergoing mods, so pics will be posted when I'm finished.
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Baker wrote:I am a complete Dream cymbal convert. I cannot tell you how much I like these plates. I'm using 12" Bliss hats, 20" Bliss ride, 12" Contact splash, 18" Bliss crash/ride, and soon will be adding a 14" Bliss crash. Yes, they all fit nicely on my kit. Currently undergoing mods, so pics will be posted when I'm finished.
Hi Baker,

I'll have to try some Bliss cymbals sometime. I've only seen them advertised in magazines. I'm happy with my A Custom set-up, but it's good to know there are other companies that make 12" hi-hats. I think those are the ideal size for a cocktail kit.

I also have the 8" and 10" Zildjian ZHT hi-hats in my collection but I don't think they sound good.

MM :)