A certain 'vibe' when playing a cocktail kit?

Tom E. Gunn

A certain 'vibe' when playing a cocktail kit?

Post by Tom E. Gunn »

Have you all ever noticed that when you play a gig with your cocktail kit, you unconsciously (or consciously?) adopt a certain vibe? Something akin to smokey rooms with a lot of velvet... or your playing takes on a hep-cat, swingin' feel? And don't you just naturally want to wear a tie and beret, or porkpie hat on a gig? I mean even when I visit this site, I get that same feeling: That I'm time-warped back to Kennedy and Camelot or something!

Funny, I was in Palm Springs last week and I did a tour of mid-century houses, including the "Elvis Honeymoon House." Now THAT house is just begging for a lounge band with a cocktail kit out by the pool!

Okay, pretty esoteric on my part, but does anyone else feel the same way?
MusicMan

Re: A certain 'vibe' when playing a cocktail kit?

Post by MusicMan »

Hi,

I understand what you're saying. However, I use my cocktail kit mostly for pop/rock church gigs and bar gigs. Hence, I'm playing modern styles with it.

With that said, there is a definitely a different feel to playing the cocktail kit. I often find myself stepping away from the pedal and playing the cymbals, percussion, and toms more like a percussionist. I guess that comes from standing up (as I would probably never take my feet off of the pedals on a standard kit).

MM :)
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Playing the cocktail drum makes me want to shave my head and don an eye-patch!

- John

Tom E. Gunn

Post by Tom E. Gunn »

jmettam wrote:Playing the cocktail drum makes me want to shave my head and don an eye-patch!

- John

... and apparently escape from prison as well!
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Tom E. Gunn wrote:... and apparently escape from prison as well!
Yes! Escaping the shackles of seated drumming! :P
mangorockfish

Post by mangorockfish »

John, your head is shaved, you wear an eye patch and if the truth were known, you're probably on the run too.