Fund raiser for Denis Stauffer's family

jim kooser

Fund raiser for Denis Stauffer's family

Post by jim kooser »

I'm sure y'all know Dennis Stauffer was tragically killed back in January. A bunch of folks got together to organize a tribute to Dennis, and a fund raiser to help gather funds for his wife and young son.

We are proud to officially launch the "Love Your Drums" fundraiser to benefit the family of the late Dennis Stauffer, owner of Stauffer Percussion and Phattie Drums, who was killed in a car accident last January. It's taken a fair amount of organization, just about single-handedly accomplished by Jim Feck of DrumArt, to get this together. JIm went live with the fund raiser today:

Thanks to the unbelievable generosity and skill of many of the world's finest drum builders from the Ghostnote Drum Builders Website, nearly $30,000 worth of the most amazing snare drums and full drumkits you've ever seen will be given away in a random drawing on May 20th at the 2012 Chicago Drum Show.

The Sweet Relief Musicians Fund will be processing your donations and making sure everything runs smoothly. For every $10 donated, you will receive an entry into the drawing. Multiple donations will receive multiple entries.

Please check out all the drums and drumkits on our website at http://www.drumart.com/loveyourdrums.html,
where you will find more information about all the drums and builders involved, a link to the donation page and the official press release.

Please give generously, and please *share* this information wherever you can!

There are around 40 custom snares, two full drum kits, and perhaps of greatest interest here, a very rare cocktail kit being built by Bill and Jake Cardwell of C and C. Dennis was, as you all know, an excellent cocktail builder himself, Bill's contribution is particularly touching.

Every $10.00 donated to the Dennis Stauffer Family Fund gets you one chance at one of these beauties. The drums can be seen at the link above, and live at the Chicago Drum Show in May.
Tom E. Gunn

Re: Fund raiser for Denis Stauffer's family

Post by Tom E. Gunn »

Heard about this on the Drumsmith.com forum. Tragic. And so young.

I actually had a very nice conversation with Denis several months ago when I was considering a Stauffer cocktail kit. He really built some wonderful drums.
jim kooser

Post by jim kooser »

Dennis did build some great stuff, and was a really enthusiastic and helpful member of the drum buidling community. Help him out, donate!!!
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Hi,

Sad story.

I bought my first cocktail kit from Dennis about 5 years ago and it's been the inspiration for several other cocktail drums I've built recently. I was pleased with the great customer service I received and the attention to detail that went into the kit I purchased from him.

I hope that someone can keep his business going and that his wife and child will continue to benefit from his efforts.

MM :)
jim kooser

Post by jim kooser »

That spirit that Dennis brought to his work is certainly evident in the drums being built by the Ghostnote Collaborative. Do check the Sweet Reloef site out, $10.00 gets you a shot at one of the drums, and the money raised goes to helps support Dennis' family.

Several local NC folks came together to help build out the outstanding orders Dennis had. Dennis' wife has let some of us know that she's interoested in selling the brands that Dennis developed to a builder or builders who will carry it on. Check out Ghostnote for details. We also understand she's interested in selling the tools and equipment.
jim kooser

Post by jim kooser »

All the drums for the Dennis Stauffer are being assembled. Ghostnote members will be displaying them at the Chicago Drum Show. Check out the Sweet Relief, Love Your Drums website for a full list of the over 30 snares, two full kits and a very rare C and C cocktail kit being offered! Every donation of $10.00 gets you a chance at one of these lovelies.
http://www.drumart.com/loveyourdrums.html

Spread the word among your drumming friends!
Attachments
dennis 1.jpg
dennis 1.jpg (33.26 KiB) Viewed 13951 times
jim kooser

Post by jim kooser »

Well, it's not a cocktail kit, but here's a couple of tasty little WIP shots of an ash stave kit being built by the Ghostnote Drum Builders' Cooperative, a kit which is part of the Love Your Drums tribute to Dennis Stauffer. This is an ash stave, 20, 16, 14, 12, with shells made by Terry Thompson of Daville Drumworks. Ken Mills (Ghostnote Drum Builders' Cooperative) did the interior finish. Eric Sooy, of Dynamicx, Drum Foundry and Black Swamp Percussion, did the exterior dye, stain and satin finish. Tom Vogel (Ghostnote Drum Builders' Cooperative)drilled, I did the final assembly. Lugs are from Chris Kennedy of Quick Action Drum Lugs, hardware supplied by Matt Wille of Drumfactory Direct. A $10.00 contribution to the LOve Your Drums tribute fund gets you a shot at winning this kit, or one of more that 30 other snares and kits. CONTRIBUTE NOW!!!!
DSCN0140.JPG
DSCN0140.JPG (226.42 KiB) Viewed 13941 times
DSCN0144.JPG
DSCN0144.JPG (174.69 KiB) Viewed 13941 times
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Hi,

I wish they'd put up some pictures of the C&C cocktail kit that is being offered. I've been checking the site for the past month and it has not been updated.

jim kooser

Post by jim kooser »

We just got a photo of the C and C cocktail kit being offered in the Love Your Drums fundrasier for Dennis Staufer's family. http://www.drumart.com/loveyourdrums.html

I don't have specs, but it's a beauty, isn't it? The classic look we all know from C and C, including an abalone inlay at mid-shell. C and C have been making their own shells for a while now, and I can say from expereince that they build some of the best around. So, cocktail brothers and sisters, if this is what you've been waiting for to contribute to Love Your Drums, the time is now! If you've already contributed, increase your odds by contributing more.

The drawing will be held at the Chicago Drum Show, this Sunday, around 2:00 pm.
Attachments
CandC1.jpg
CandC1.jpg (35.62 KiB) Viewed 13897 times
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting a photo of the C&C cocktail kit. The finish is beautiful. I hope it went to a good owner.