Time to Mothball the Cocktail Kit?

Tom E. Gunn

Time to Mothball the Cocktail Kit?

Post by Tom E. Gunn »

Unfortunately, finding ANY gig these days, let alone one that features a cocktail kit, is getting very difficult. I can't seem to convince too many players to go low volume or play acoustic instruments, especially those pesky guitarists, so I'm going to have to mothball the cocktail kit... again.

How about all of you here? Are any of you playing your cocktail kit on gigs with any frequency? What type of gigs are you playing and how often? I've run several ads on CL and have done a lot of networking but can't find anyone interested in doing music that would 'apply' to a cocktail kit setting. So far, I've done two gigs with my Trixon cocktailer and it's a shame because it looks great and gets so many compliments on the sound.

Sigh.....

:cry:
MusicMan

Re: Time to Mothball the Cocktail Kit?

Post by MusicMan »

Hi Tom,

Don't lose heart! I've been playing my cocktail kit at a lot of churches over the past two years. I have no problem finding gigs because many of them are small buildings where drum volume is an on-going problem even when they use loud electric instruments for their contemporary worship music.

Look on your local Craig's List under "musicians" and search for "church" and "praise" and "worship" and you'll often find some listings for drummers or "worship musicians" that you can inquire about. Also, you can probably call any non-denominational or Protestant church in your area and ask for the "worship director" and see if he is looking for an experienced drummer. Even if you find ads that don't specify that they need a "drummer", most churches need as many musicians as they can find and will most certainly give you an opportunity to try out.

If you don't consider yourself a "church" person, it won't really be an issue as long as you are respectful of how they conduct themselves and don't criticize their doctrine. Just focus on the music. I even recently played at a large Catholic church in my city that is trying to do contemporary music with a full rock band! The nice thing about church gigs is that they are not late hours, they are happening at hundreds of places every week, you only need to learn 4-5 songs at a time, and you can be on the roster of as many different bands as you want.

I've found that most band leaders don't even know what a cocktail kit is, but when they find out, they are often thrilled that it is a "quieter" and "smaller" alternative that still gives their band a full drum sound. I'm amazed at how many times the music leaders will call me back and spefically request that I bring "the cocktail thing".

Good luck ...

MM
Tom E. Gunn

Post by Tom E. Gunn »

I appreciate the input but we have a full drum kit at our church and I have sat in from time to time when the drummer can't make it.
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Hi Tom,

Why don't you ask the worship director at your church to let you use the cocktail kit from time to time. People in the congregation also enjoy having a change of pace. You might also suggest that you use the cocktail kit with a smaller band to give some of the other people on the worship teams a break!

MM :)
Tom E. Gunn

Post by Tom E. Gunn »

I would, be we have a control freak music director there and you have to PETITION to do anything , musically. Which basically means NO every time.
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Tom,

Well, maybe it would be good to try Craig's List in order to find a different church where you can play.

jim kooser

Post by jim kooser »

Didn't know there were so many of us playing in churches. I use a cocktail kit at our Catholic church every weekend. We have a very diverse repertoire, so we keep the cocktail kit, congas, djembe, cajon, doumbek, bodhran and various toys handy. The cocktail kit fits easily in the choir loft, doesn't overpower the choir. I gig with it occasionally when I'm playing with a more acosutically oriented band.
Tom E. Gunn

Post by Tom E. Gunn »

I just got a hit on Craigs-list and will be playing a gig next month. It's a charity event, but could lead to more playing situations. The event planner scoffed at a drum kit at first, but when she heard it would be a little cocktail kit, she were overjoyed!
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

jim kooser wrote:Didn't know there were so many of us playing in churches. I use a cocktail kit at our Catholic church every weekend. We have a very diverse repertoire, so we keep the cocktail kit, congas, djembe, cajon, doumbek, bodhran and various toys handy. The cocktail kit fits easily in the choir loft, doesn't overpower the choir. I gig with it occasionally when I'm playing with a more acosutically oriented band.
Jim,

That's great! Yes, I think that churches are the "next frontier" for cocktail kits that many people aren't aware of.

MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Tom E. Gunn wrote:I just got a hit on Craigs-list and will be playing a gig next month. It's a charity event, but could lead to more playing situations. The event planner scoffed at a drum kit at first, but when she heard it would be a little cocktail kit, she were overjoyed!
Hi Tom,

Good news! Glad you tried Craig's List and found a gig. Like I said, band leaders are usually thrilled to hear about the cocktail kit because it is easier to manage the volume. Let us know how the gig goes and take a couple of pictures ...

Tom E. Gunn

Post by Tom E. Gunn »

The audition went...

HORRIBLE!

Fifty year old guys who played like 13 year olds.

Ouch.