Kick side - wrong problem, right fix (now)

Baker

Kick side - wrong problem, right fix (now)

Post by Baker »

Today, after almost a year, and multiple unsuccessful head changes and tweaks on the bottom of my Trixon elite, I finally got a sound I like...by changing the beater. On a whim, I picked up a Vater Bomber fleece beater. When I installed it, I instantly I heard the warm, low, vintage sound I desired from the start.

Pedal is a flipped Pearl 900. Bottom head is a 15" Remo coated pinstripe. Drum sounds AWESOME!
MusicMan

Re: Kick side - wrong problem, right fix (now)

Post by MusicMan »

Hi Baker,

Great news!

I'm still tweaking my cocktail kit after 5 years ... I know how it feels.

On my kit, the toms are mounted above the cocktail drum (which is a real verticle kick drum with hoops on both ends - so it doesn't function as a floor tom). I always had a problem with the resonance of my 2 toms getting "cancelled/shortened" from interference from the proximity of the top kick drum head until I suddenly thought of exchanging the bottom heads of my toms with mesh heads (from a Pearl Rhythm Traveler kit).

Now there is an additional 5" betweeen the batter heads of my toms and the top head of the bass drum so that there is no loss of resonance (since the air just passes through the mesh head on the bottom without causing the top head of the drum to resonate). The mesh heads also allow me to keep the bottom hoops on the 2 toms so that they don't lose the classier look of double-headed toms.

MM :)