using "alternative" sticks on c@cktail kit

KeithCronin

Post by KeithCronin »

Do you usually use sticks on your c@cktail kit? <br>
<br>
I find I use Vater Acousticks (or other hot-rod/blastick alternatives) more than sticks. Seems like I can often get a fatter snare sound that way. Not necessarily louder, but fatter, if that makes any sense.<br>
<br>
And I LOVE how wire brushes sound on a 16" head - they put out a lot of sound when playing a conventional (swishy) swing rhythm. I thought I'd really miss having a hihat for grooves like that, but the brush sound is very full and driving.<br>
<br>
I do use sticks when the band gets loud, or for cross-stick playing. I must say I find cross-stick playing the most uncomfortable part of stand-up drumming. Seems like you have to really fold in on yourself to do it, and balancing can get tricky.<br>
<br>
Anybody else with some observations?<br>
<br>

<p></p><i></i>
Don

Post by Don »

I use rods all the time. Not sure why, but they just "feel" right on a cocktail kit.
<p></p><i></i>
John Mettam

Post by John Mettam »

Well, I have to admit that I have a chronic problem. I always switch sticks around even when playing full kit. I switch alot in the middle of tunes too! On the cocktail I use brushes, blasticks, hot rods, and the amazing 'diamond tip' plastic tip 8As. I normally don't use plastic tips or such small sticks but these sound great on my one 14" zildjian custom crash. Let's me dig in and still hear some ping. The hot rods are more for softer ride playing. They don't sound so good on the snare but sometimes... The blasticks sound the best on the snare. I wrap them with duct tape about 2 inches from the tip so they don't spread out very much. Gives a lot of meat to the snare sound (Remeber I use a 14" drum that has a high pitched snare so it is a very tight and somewhat brittle sound.). The brushes are great too for obvious reasons. I also mix up sticks alot, especially brush rhythm on snare with left hand cross stick, stick or hot rod on cymbal with blasticks on snare or bongos. I also 'ride' on a cowbell or the shell a fair bit. Breaks up the sound and leaves a lot of space for the band.<br>
<br>
Just experiment and it wll all fall into place!<br>
<br>
John<br>
<br>
<br>

<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub19.ezboard.com/ujohnmettam.sh ... ge=EN>John Mettam</A> at: 9/6/02 5:41:02 pm<br></i>