Still enjoying a Cocktail now and then

Tom E. Gunn

Still enjoying a Cocktail now and then

Post by Tom E. Gunn »

Hello all. I kind of forgot about this forum. I see another member is back after a terrible accident. I just wanted to add welcome back and thank God you are alright now!!!

Anyway, I really don't do much cocktail gigging. I run adverts here and there on CraigsList but it's hard to find the right people who are interested in doing a jump/swing thing with low volume. Guitarist have no concept of how to play "jazz quiet" and finding a piano player or keys these days is even harder. So, I just keep my little Cocktailer set up in my music room. After a year of so, the Trixon model I bought is still going strong and I really don't have any complaints. The snare still needs tweaking every once in a while and I never did really invest in a great set of hi-hats (still have a pair of Wuhan 10 inch splashes as my hats) but I have fun and enjoy having friends over to jam.

Well, best of luck to everyone here, and keep on making music!

Tom E. Gunn
Tom E. Gunn

Re: Still enjoying a Cocktail now and then: UPDATE

Post by Tom E. Gunn »

I stopped by the local Guitar Center here and picked up a Pearl M-80 10x4 snare. It really sounds good! And at $59.00, not a bad deal. I'm using the stock Pearl Pro-tone heads which don't sound too bad. I like how it is bigger than the 8 inch snare that came with my kit. Now if it only came in Orange Sparkle... :lol:
privateidaho

Re: Still enjoying a Cocktail now and then

Post by privateidaho »

I too use one of those little Pearl Firecrackers. They are awesome little drums, perfectly scaled for cocktail use. I rewrapped mine to match my set. I still have the stock heads and I also used it to replace the 8 inch snare that came with the set. I have converted that 8 incher to a tom.

Most musicians I play with appreciate the lower volume and ability of cocktail sets to play venues where a traditional set would be unwelcome. I'm surprised you are having trouble finding people to play with. I am in high demand with a cocktail set.
Attachments
Tiki Cocktail set with three toms, snare and bass drum. I've since upgraded the ride to a 16 inch Sabian xS crash, which is surprisingly heavy and makes a good ride.
Tiki Cocktail set with three toms, snare and bass drum. I've since upgraded the ride to a 16 inch Sabian xS crash, which is surprisingly heavy and makes a good ride.
CD02.jpg (172.92 KiB) Viewed 8095 times
MusicMan

Re: Still enjoying a Cocktail now and then

Post by MusicMan »

Hi PrivateIdaho,

Nice picture of your kit. I wouldn't have know that you rewrapped a Pearl Firecracker to match your kit. Great idea. It's good that you were able to change the lugs to match as well.

I'm in the final stages of my own custom cocktail build (using all Pearl shells and parts) and am hoping to post some photos here soon.

MM :)