New c0cktail player...

chefmcj

Post by chefmcj »

Hey folks,<br>
<br>
I've been lurking here for the past few weeks with the hope of getting the scoop on these amazing drum sets. You haven't let me down. With Phattie's web site back on-line, I think I'm ready to take the plunge.<br>
<br>
Historically I'm a hand drummer; full set of congas (LP white oak, circa 1986, rosewood gen2 bongos) and have always played in bands with one or even two full kit drummers. Needless to say, I haven't had the "burden" of maintaining the down beat & have been free to play around with rhythm & melody.<br>
<br>
Currently I'm with a band (& doing some session work) where I'm the sole drummer. It's new & challenging. I think jumping onto the cocktail set while mixing it up with the congas would be a natural. I'm pretty psyched about it.<br>
<br>
So I'm ordering a Phattie.<br>
<br>
A couple of questions, if you might possibly help out a new "stick man":<br>
<br>
Do you guys have any thoughts about lug choice? Slingerland, bowtie, tail light, & yamaha are all offered. Pros & cons to any of them? <br>
<br>
Any thoughts on bass pedal choice? I've read here that the DW5000 may be the ideal pedal, how does the phattie pedal compare?<br>
<br>
Cosmetics: This is probably more a question for Dennis & the gang at Phattie.<br>
I like the look of wood...but instead of trying to match the c0cktail to the white oak congas, I'm thinking of going with a color match with the rosewood bongos. Phattie offers "rosewood" finish but there are also a bunch of other natural finishes. Any body ever compare LPs rosewood with Phattie's?<br>
<br>
That's it. Thanks for having the site up John, & thanks for all of you guys posting (especially Keith & Don). I've already learned a lot.<br>
<br>
I'll post some gig pics of me and the percussion set up soon. & in 4-6 months the awesome c0cktail-c0nga set.<br>
<br>
-Cheers<br>
<br>
Mark J <br>

<p></p><i></i>
Don

Post by Don »

Welcome! It's great to see our little "cult" catching on. <br>
<br>
The lug choice is ALL personal preference. They all work the same, so what do you want to look at? I preferred the Slingerland for the vintage vibe, but whatever you pic is cool.<br>
<br>
Pedal choice? Read my "Modern Cocktail R&D" post below. In my opinion, my DW rig as as good as it gets, period. The pedal included with the Phattie drums is nice, but mine threw the main link in the chain, and couldn't be replaced easily - so I went DW and never looked back.<br>
<br>
Finish? Hmmm.... I guess the rosewood idea is sound. I have no clue if it would match your bongos though. Perhaps you could leave the main drum natural (like the congas) and the snare and tom could be rosewood (like the bongos). Or is that a little too anal? Haha<br>
<br>
Can't wait to see a pic.
<p></p><i></i>