Remote Hat Stands

Dinkus

Remote Hat Stands

Post by Dinkus »

I stumbled across this awesome site and since I've just become a proud new owner of a Cocktail kit, I was wondering if anyone actually uses a remote hat pedal/stand and can play while standing? I realize there is an obvious balance issue but before I sink money into more gear, I would like to know if other people are doing this with good results.

Dinkus
John Mettam

Standing with Hi Hat

Post by John Mettam »

Hi Dinkus!

Welcome to the board! Well, I have yet to hear of someone using a hi hat pedal in the standing position. If you sit, you may have a chance! :twisted:

See the next posting for more info on hi hat possibilities!

john
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

After investing $6.00 I built a cheap remote hi-hat stand set-up. I was able to work the hat and decided it would be worth investing in a real Remote Hat. I decided on DW, partially cause I really like their hardware and I already own a crap load of the stuff. I looked into Pearl, cheaper but not as stable for playing while standing (needs a good base plate). Well the bottom line is you can stand and play and use a remote hat. It works great. Yes there is a balance issue but it really isn?t that big with some small amount of practice. (Practice what the hell is that?)
If anyone is interested I can take pics of the set up and explain in better detail how to make the pedal set up as comfortable and easy to work with as possible.

Dinkus
John Mettam

Remote Hat

Post by John Mettam »

Hey Dinkus,

Gongrads! I think that you may be the first! :D

So my question is, which foot do you put most of your weight on? I'm guessing that you have the hat pedal back a bit from the drum so that you can keep you feet somewhat perpendicular. Either that or you have a really heavy drum and you strap yourself to it to keep from falling backwards!!!

Let's get some pics up when you can get them.

John
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

John, most of the weight is on my left foot however you can balance pretty good. The 1st 10 minutes seems heavy but quickly goes away. An hour later you're ready for a break but no more than on any other kit. My feet aren't really perpendicular but even when I played before they weren't. I also play heal up but can switch and do switch depending on songs.

Here are some pics of my set up with the remote hats, if anyone has any questions just ask away here.

http://www.angelfire.com/music/dinkus/c ... tehats.htm
John Mettam

Remote Hats

Post by John Mettam »

Hey Dinkus,

Thanks for the great pics!!

Everyone should check it out. Nice setup. That's what I like to see, experiment and find out what works for you! I just saw a new mount by XL specialty for adding a closed hat to free floating snares. I'm curious if it will work with other rims:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid ... _id/101555

I'm still working on ways to add more stuff to my drum (no built in mounts) without drilling or going for the heavy duty gibraltar setup!

Thanks again Dinkus!

John
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

Hey John thanks for visiting the site. I know you said you want to add more to your setup without the rack set up and that Clamp looks like a great Idea if you run small hats but the rack works really awsome and isn't that heavy. You can use as much or as little gear as you want. With my setup if you only want to use the original cocktail drum I just slide the rack back out of the way or leave it at home. It's a total of 3 joints of pipe (legs and crossbar) about 3.5ft and 2 -2ft pieces for the feet. Stays completely out of the way of the other musician, they won't trip on it. Now of course some ideas are to keep small and simple but if you're like me a few extra pieces can add to the song. I may only use a cowbell (Tambourine, wood blocks) for 2 songs but it wouldn't be the same without it. I already have mics clamped on the rims and playable space will become an issue if your clamps are all attached to the rims. 2 cymbal stands and a pipe are pretty easy to come by if you own a full kit. It's a simple rack, cheap, works great.

Dinkus