snare fan/head tension issues

famouswilly

snare fan/head tension issues

Post by famouswilly »

Hi!

I have a question for the group about setting the snare fan against the top head.

I've found that certain snare tensions and head tensions cause the snare to "flap back" against the head, especially when I whack the drum. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? What tricks do you use to counteract it?

I find that the tighter the head, the worse the problem, and the tighter the snares, the worse the problem. So obviously, I have a solution--tune the head down a little and keep the snares tightened just pass the point when they buzz too much.

I was just wondering what other tricks might exist. I have my snare fan running a little past the center of the head--is that a lot longer than most snare fans? I tend not to hit the drum in the dead center. But when I do, I obviously get more of a slapback effect.
Because the drum has a 15" diameter, I think I need a good chunk of snares underneath the head. BTW--I use a Remo Coated Ambassador on the top.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Will
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

Well the set up on the Club Jordon set has the fan maybe a third into the head (3 to 4 Inch fan I think) for length. If you hit the snares you do get that sound that you are talking about. I believe if you shorten your wires you'll get a better sound. You don't really want to hit the snare unless that's the sound you going after. The club Jordon kits are 15" also and my head is fairly tight with a nice POP sound, not quite a crack due to my choice of tuning. I do not crank the snares up, it chokes the sound pretty bad. I keep a medium tension on it with my tuning, I get little sympathetic buzz and the snare sounds just fine. Good luck
Dinkus
famouswilly

Post by famouswilly »

Thanks!

You said in another thread that your girlfriend liked the "reggaeish" sound your club jordan has. I know you were refering to an unbaffled drum and that mine at this moment is just the 15x12" top half of the drum, but I think I know what she's talking about. My drum sounds a little like it's in a cave--kind of that low-fi reverby thing.

I'll look into cutting down the snares after I finish assembling the drum and give it a test run.