Project Update--drilling

famous willy

Project Update--drilling

Post by famous willy »

Hey Everyone!

Well, I took Keith's advice and drilled my drum tonight. I went with two 2 1/2" holes--one above the snare baffle and one three inches away from the bass head. Black and Decker sells the 2 1/2" bit with the guide bit for $5--a steal compared to the $40 I'd need to spend to do 3" and 4" holes. Still, I see why you went with such big holes, Keith. Mine is only a 15" diameter, and the thing moves a ton of air, even out of the snare hole past a 2" foam baffle with cardboard on either side. I'll probably cut at least one more hole for the bass tomorrow.

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for tuning the heads to minimize the snare rattle. Both my heads are coated ambassadors--I haven't gotten around to ordering a coated powerstroke for the bass head, but with a thin felt strip on the bottom head, I'm getting a decent bass sound. The holes just opened the drum up completely!

I have the snare cranked really tight right now and the bass about as low as it can go without flapping. The snare sounds cool, but is maybe just a little choked. As far as rebound goes, it's way tighter than any snare I normally plays--the stiff action might take some getting used to. I've experimented a little with detuning one lug, but it doesn't seem to make any difference with the rattle. I understand that I'm just going to have to learn to love some rattle, but the more I can eliminate, the better.

By the way, I was watching Something About Mary on TV tonight and saw Jonathan Richman's drummer playing a Club Jordan. Sweet!

Also, anyone who wants to convert a strap drive pedal with a big cam, don't bother. I did and the thing has no speed and hits the drum so hard the drum jumps in the air.

Will
Roarbot

Post by Roarbot »

your project sounds great. i just bought a peace manhattan kit, but i've been considering building a cocktail kit completely from scratch.. who knows.

anyway. tommy larkins (jonathan richman's drummer) usually uses a very cool vintage ludwig champagne sparkle kit. i didn't look closely enough to see if he was playing a club jordan in the movie or not.. but the handful of times i've seen them play, it's been the ludwig kit.

anyway. can't wait to see the pictures of your finished kit.