finish options

famous willy

finish options

Post by famous willy »

Hey Everyone!

My prototype is just about set--just a few more tuning and mounting and drilling issues to work out, and maybe talking my wife into letting me get a Zildjian 17" remix ride (I think it's the perfect cocktail cymbal--it's small, not too loud, it has a great ride and bell sound, and the crash sounds like a crash cymbal or maybe just a little crash-ride-ish--it doesn't gong out and sound heavy or explosive like my 19" crash ride--my second choice).

I've decided to go with Sambarnard.net for my finish because they are inexpensive, have cool vintage finishes, and precut the pieces.

I was curious if I could get some feedback on what finish to go with. Here are my top three:

1)Fire Orange Satin Flame--I think this is totally loungy, but my wife says it will clash with the chrome and also look a bit girly.

2)Black Glass Glitter, possibly with a flame job at the bottom of the drum made with Silver Glass Glitter--This finish is more expensive and adding silver flames at the bottom would be time consuming and difficult, but the result would be more manly than the first option and perhaps a bit more tasteful. Also, since I can't use a continuous sheet due to a construction issue in my glued-together shells, I wouldn't need to worry about matching up the pattern. The silver would give the drum kind of a hot rodded feel (I think Fire Orange Satin Flame would too), which is cool because I'm into cars, too.

3)Blue Satin Flame--more subdued than the first choice, but still very loungy.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated, too. I've checked out precision drum company and drummaker.com, but they don't precut and their finishes are comparable anyway.

Will