taping-up cymbals

famouswilly

taping-up cymbals

Post by famouswilly »

I mentioned in another post that I was interested in learning effective ways to tape crash cymbals or crash-ride cymbals to make them sound more ride-like. I always hated the idea, but now that I'm married and taping my 17" K dark crash or 19" 70's A crash ride could save me the cost of a new cymbal, I'm interested. Unfortunately, the technique was passe by the time I started playing set (late 80's), so I've never known anyone who did it well. The few people I knew who did it totally choked their cymbals. In general, I love ringy stuff--ringy drums, ringy cymbals--but my cocktail set has a rather focused sound and my really washy cymbals just don't fit.

I'm looking for one cymbal to complete my cocktail kit, and if I can't find a decent technique for "adjusting" the sound of either of the above cymbals, I'll shell out for a 17" Zildjian Remix ride.

If it matters, my style is funk, jazz, and soul as learned by a big Jimi Hendrix/Alice Cooper/Who fan. I rarely play with crash or splash cymbals anymore.

Thanks!

Will