Modified peace manhattan

palacki808

Modified peace manhattan

Post by palacki808 »

I have noticed in several posts that people who have bought the peace mahattan drum kit have had issues with the cymbal height. I made some changes to mine recently, I originally thought "nothing here is too high, I'm just not used to playing standing up yet". Well I think I was a little wrong, I am not completely comfortable standing yet, but everything was indeed too high.

First, like many: I bent the cymabl and I hat rods down a bit.

Second: snare is gone! I am going to sell it. I personally find the snare being too loud as compared to the bass sound and it makes the drum too high for my taste. I am not a very big guy, only about 5'4" tall.

Using "z" rods (similar to what is used on Pattie cocktail drums) I mounted the new 10" snare and the tom to the drum. The heads of the snare and tom sit about 3 inches above the main drum's head.

Third: I replaced the top batter head of the main drum with a coated ambassador and added the internal snare fan (I may change my mind and not use the 10" snare later). I got the idea from a previous post I saw were someone talked about using the internal muffler from a tama imperialstar drum for the snare "throw off". It worked very well.

eventually I will be adding a baffle, but that is another project I have to research more before attempting.
Bruce (the K)

Modifyin' Manhattans

Post by Bruce (the K) »

I guess it's a little late for this question but are you using the original legs? I found that they didn't have enough knurled surface for me to adjust the set down to a comfortable snare height for me. (I'm 5' 7" of "pure dynamite.") :wink: I swapped the legs with some shorter ones that also had a lot more knurled surface for the clamps to grip and it solved my problem.

I tend to agree with you that the snare is quite loud and tends to dominate the bass (although the little tom seems to hold its own quite nicely with the snare).

It sounds like you've taken a somewhat similar approach to my own attempt to make the Manhattan more like the Rodgers Astoria by shifting the snare to the side and giving access to the top head of the kick drum. I've had trouble actually playing mine while standing (as I much prefer to do) because the kick head was just too low so I'm going to try your idea of Z rods for the snare and tom. Then I think I can raise the kick up a bit and put the top head in a more comfortable position. I wish I knew how to post pictures for this type of discussion. Hey John or Kyle, can one of you guys run an on-line workshop on 'web photos for clueless dummies'?
jmettam
Site Admin

Photos for Dummies!

Post by jmettam »

Hey Bruce,

The answer is:

You can't post pictures in the forum. You must have them already loaded to a web server and then link to them from your message.

As always, if you have photos you want to share, please email them to me. I will be happy to put them up and add them into your post. I love it when people show us their drums/projects so send 'em on in!

Thanks

John
palacki808

similar to a rogers

Post by palacki808 »

Yeah, I like the snare to the side like the rogers astoria or the club jordan. I did buy a smaller 10" snare for this situation. It's a pacific 4x10 MAPLE shell snare.

I also had trouble with the height of the drum, I am an inch or two shorter than you are so I know what you mean about the legs. I found that after I used the side snare setup the legs are fine though. Only when using the included snare there is that extra 6 inches of height.

-Joe
palacki808

sick of it

Post by palacki808 »

My cocktail drum fell over last night, one of the leg clamps is stripped. This was the last problem I was going to deal with. I pamper my drums and have never had any hardware strip out on me. I took it to the local music store and sold it.

I'm going to do what I should have done in the first place and build one like I did with my octobans.

For those of you out there building drums right now or plan on it, the cymbal rods for an lp claw are availabe for about $8 (I wouldn't use any cymbal heavier than an 18 inch ride though). I bought two of those and the neccessary clamps already. It came out to about 30 bucks total for mounting two cymbals, not bad.

-Joe
giorgis

newbie to peace

Post by giorgis »

Hey friends,
I just this afternoon got a new peace manhattan set. It came with no instructions, so there is a bit of guesswork going on for me -- but -- i was wondering if any of you think that removing the top head from the bass drum might improve the bass dynamics (instead of isolating it with the mat). i.e., take the snare off, remove the top head, replace the snare drum in its orginal position. As it is I had no idea about he isolation mat until reading this forum. I thought that was a practice muffler. heh heh.

Yes the height is going to take some adjusting -- I am 5'8"
Thanks for your thoughts,
Giorgis