baffling question for dinkus

Evan Mitchell

baffling question for dinkus

Post by Evan Mitchell »

Hey Dinkus,

Just listened to your mp3s with your Club Jordan kit, extra snare. They sound great! I have two questions for you, if you don't mind... I have a club jordan and since I've decided to use the main drum for a kick and snare I cant get a good sound for both, the snare sounds rough, and theres TONS of bass drum interference. I'm currently not baffling or venting.

You're using baffling of some kind, and no venting, from what I can gather in the threads. What did you do for your baffle, what's it made of and where is it in your drum (vertically?) Is this all you use for your great snare/kick sound?

Secondly, for your added external snare, what equipment do you use in all? Is it just a tone control unit with the dampener cut off and the snares taped on? And you just use the l-bracket from the cross stick board? (If i were to do it I would buy another l-bracket, I like the board too much.)

Seriously, your drum sounds fabulous. I hope I can tinker enough with mine to make it sound like that, and it's great you've done it without drilling vent holes. I don't want to damage an inch of my pink sparkle. :) I really need help with the baffling situation, any advice you could give me would be fabulous. And I think your snare solution is the best "snare add-on" idea I've sen yet.

I really appreciate your help, I have the rest of my kit sounding great except the main drum, and whatever assistance you can give would save me from probably scrweing up my drum.

Cheers, and thanks again,

Evan Mitchell
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

Hi Evan welcome to the forum. Wow big questions today, I decided to make things easier to explain by pictures. So go to this link and you can see how I approached the baffling issue with the Club Jordan.

http://www.angelfire.com/music/dinkus/c ... fling.html

As for the external snare, yes it is just a tone control with the damper removed. Pretty simple. I think John has some tone controls available through this site. If you can't find an L Bracket you can always go to metal shop and get a guy to bend some stainless steel for you. Looks good and doesn't rust. I hope this helps you out and if you have any more questions just ask away, I'll be lurking around.

Dinkus
Evan Mitchell

Thanks! and another question...

Post by Evan Mitchell »

Hi DInkus,

Looks like you're baffling quite a bit, I thought it was much less (ie just three pieces or something.)

How is your baffling being held in place inside the drum? Is it just by just by surface tension from the foam pushing against the shell? I didnt see any L-brackets or anything inside your drum... the only other conclusion I can draw is that your bafling all just rests on the bottom head.

Thanks for putting the pics and such up on your website, I really appreciate that. That's definitely above and beyond the call of duty. :)

Cheers, and thanks again,

Evan Mitchell
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

Evan, yah there is quite abit of baffle, that was just the amount that worked for me, but you could get good results with less. There is nothing other that surface tension holding the foam plys and skins in place. The foam was just cut to fit so that it wouldn't and doesn't move during gig to gig. I don't force pressure the foam against the bottom head, it just rests nicely on it. Hope that helps.

Dinkus
fw

Post by fw »

Wow, Dinkus--from previous posts, I pictured something totally different from your baffle.

From the pictures it looks like the baffle doesn't actually cut the drum into two chambers--it just rests on the bottom head. Is that right?

I've got my baffle just about the way I want it, but I still can't get my snare sound quite right. The problems you discussed are mine--I find that tensioning the snares to get a crisp snare sound completely chokes the drum. I can get nice sustain and tone and a lousy snare sound, or a nice snare sound and a completely choked drum. Or I can really overtighten it and get a choked, rattly sound.

So I was curious--Yamaha obviously did some good research to make the Club Jordan, and I was wondering if you could tell me the length of their snare fan and the number of snares on it.

Thanks!

FW
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

FW, yes the baffle of mine really just rests in the shell and on the head. There is no wood or second chamber in my shell. I wanted to keep it stock without drilling. The snare fans on the Club Jordon are 4" long including the 1/2" soldering bar attachment and are 20 strands total. Hope that helps you out.

Dinkus
fw

Post by fw »

It does! Thanks!