What do you guys know about bearing edges?

fw

What do you guys know about bearing edges?

Post by fw »

Hey Everyone!

I'm trying to figure out the theory behind bearing edges, so I figured I'd ask some of the expert drummers on this list. My understanding is that the worst possible bearing edge would be flat. I also have been told that the rounder the edge, the warmer the tone, and that the sharper, the more attack. I've heard that sharp edges aid sustain, but then I wonder why so many vintage drums have such nice sustain. I'm trying to think of what to look for when I go out and eventually buy or build my dream kit, and I'm looking for a nice balance of sustain and warmth. I want a complex, jazzy tone with lots of sustain--ideally like five seconds' worth! On my toms, I don't really care about a lot of attack--just enough to be heard. It's good that the intial tone or accents can cut through, but what I really care about is the tone after the initial strike. I hate power toms, pinstripe heads, duct tape, etc. Attack doesn't impress me--I don't want ass kicking drums--I want toms that almost sound like timpani.

I've heard some Premiers that I liked, and I guess their theory is to use slightly under-sized shell. Would a double 45 degree cut have the effect of giving the head a little more space between the collar and the shell?

As far as looks and sizes go, I favor jazz sized tom toms and fast-to-traditional sized floor toms, and probably a 20" bass drum, of what depth I'm not certain. And I think I'd like a natural maple lacquer finish. Ayotte, DW, Premier, Ludwig, and Gretsch all seem interesting to me, as do a few boutique lines.

I'm sorry this isn't exactly a cocktail question, but hanging out here for so long, I've come to value everyone's expertise as drumming professionals. And just to run with the idea, what the heck--what bearing edges do you like on cocktail sets, and why? Since my drum is made from 60's Ludwig marching drums, I have a roundish cut with a peak in the center. My 10x8 tom has a 45 degree cut which gives me clarity and cut, but not a ton of sustain.

Thanks!

Will