pedal questions

ricky

pedal questions

Post by ricky »

Can anyone suggest different pedals that are easy to convert "cocktail" style,and possibly have photos and instructions on how to do it? thanks.
ricky

pedal ????? help

Post by ricky »

John,Dinkus?...anyone...help!
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

Hey Ricky, ummm, there are tons of pedals that can be converted, I think almost all of them. I'm a DW fan so all I can say is, just reverse the cam. Loosen all the set screws, undo the chain, take the nut off one end of the cam shaft and spin the cam. Put the pedal back together and put the chain on the cam. It's really pretty simple. I don't have pics at the moment but maybe if I can find the time I'll get something up. My kit came with a Yamaha pedal which I changed back to normal operation for my SPD-20 kick trigger. Just get the tools and rip your pedal apart. The more you know about your gear the better you'll be prepared to fix it quickly while the lead singer tells a joke during a show. Let us know how it turns out.

Dinkus
fw

Post by fw »

I agree that almost any pedal can be converted. I would add two caveats, though.

1)If you have a metal base-plate model with velcro on the bottom, you might not need to make a device to clamp the pedal to the legs, provided you play on carpet.

2)Don't use a strap drive or eccentric cam model pedal. I tried converting an old Pearl strap drive, and I got so much torque that I launched the drum three inches off the ground any time I hit it hard. Also, I couldn't get any speed out of the pedal at all. Even though I normally like pedals that accelerate a bit at the last moment before hitting the head, I'd recommend using a chain drive with a plain, round cam.

If money is an issue, I saw that Pulse offers a pretty good looking metal base plate pedal on musiciansfriend.com for $29. It would certainly do the trick. I use a Pacific pedal that I got used for $30. My cocktail set isn't my main set, and I've been trying to keep costs down on it.

Will
jmettam
Site Admin

Pedal Question

Post by jmettam »

Hey Ricky,

Sounds like you got your answer. There was a short discussion about this before.. here:

viewtopic.php?t=233

Remember you can always search the forum for keywords! (search at the top of this page)

I haven't done any actual conversion myself. I have one drum that came with an old Slingerland strap pedal with nothing more than the strap turned around. It actually works OK but it certainly does not have the best feel in the world!

It seems that lots of people have used DWs since they are fairly easy to take apart and they are very good pedals.

Anyone want to write up some text and take some pictures for a page on conversion??

John
ricky

pedal questions

Post by ricky »

Thanks everyone ,you guys rock.
palacki808

dw single pole

Post by palacki808 »

Drum workshop has a single post slave pedals, just has one post holding the pedal driveshaft. Looks like it could be converted by just loosening one allen screw and adding the spring. Check out the pics on this link to see what I'm talking about.

http://www.dwdrums.com/pedals/4000Pedals.htm