Alternative Floor Tom

jmettam
Site Admin

Alternative Floor Tom

Post by jmettam »

Hey All,

I can't remeber if I posted about this before but...

A while back I had a tour with a singer-songwriter John Mcvey. He was really into the Cocktail Drum concept so I started figuring out what would work with his music. I realized that I would need at least a floor tom to make things sound right. My problem... I only have single drum cocktail drums, snare/bass together. No toms, so how do I get a floor tom that will A) be high enough for the cocktail kit and B) not be too large to lug around (space was an issue for traveling). So I started digging through my stuff and found an old 60s japanese snare without the snare hardware and only 4 lugson the bottom (different threads = hard to find!). So I threw on some thick heads and tuned it up (or I should say DOWN) as low as I could and PRESTO I had a halfway decent sounding 'mini floor-tom'. Not as loud as a regular drum but it blended perfectly with the cocktail kit and was easy to position using a tall snare stand. PLus it fit perfectly into the top of my cocktail bag since the main drum is also 14".

Here is the only picture I have with a hint of the kit (that's the floor tom on the left). Perhaps someday someone else in the band will find something better.

The rest of the set up was my 14" ride/crash mounted off of the drum and a single old-style Ludwig cymbal stand wich had a closed set of 12" hi-hats (two splashes) fixed closed at the junction of the top two posts and a 14" china on top. A lot of drum for such a compact setup!

-John