crosstick sound on a cocktail drum

crosstick sound on a cocktail drum

Post by Guest »

So my cocktail rig has a 10 inch snare that sounds great. The problem is that I can't obviously get a good crosstick sound from a drum that small. When the bead of the stick is placed in the center of the drum, and the rim is struck with the shaft, the sound is weak and lifeless.

Is there a type of block or something that I could attach to get that good fat crosstick sound on a cocktail drum?
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

There is a plastic block called Jam Block. It works pretty well as a replacement sound. i prefer the sound of a real snare but this takes it's place. There are different tones (sizes) I like the blue one over the red one
Dave

cross stick sound

Post by Dave »

Try using a Russ Miller snare "Wedge". I use one with my 10" snare and it really helps to get a good cross stick sound. Check the picture of my kit posted last year in "Your cocktail kit"and you can see it mounted on the snare drum. Dave Randall
jmettam
Site Admin

Cross stick sound

Post by jmettam »

You can find the Russ Miller Groove Wedge at Musicians Friend!

I'll try and add it to the shop soon but if you go through the Musicians Friend link on the shop page:

http://cocktaildrum.com/shop/

and then search for "russ miller wedge" you find it. There's also a jingle wedge. I've never tried them but they look pretty cool!

John
fw

Post by fw »

I've also heard that some jazz purists say that any time you hit a rim click or play brushes on a snare drum, the snares should be off. I don't play traps that way, but I do know that the rim clicks and brush sounds still sound good on a snare with the snares off--some would say not just good, but correct. Have you tried getting a rim click sound off the main drum? If you don't tune the top head too low, the sound might work.

FW

Post by Guest »

Yah, I tried on the big tom (16") but it doesn't sound right. Plus it's a little akward to turn and hit the tom. I am playing a Slingerland Expresso, so I am seated when I play and would have to reach across my body to hit the tom with my left hand.

I think I will order that grove wedge. Do you just hit the wedge, or do you strike it as you would a normal cros stick with the bead on the head, and the shaft of the stick on the grove wedge?
Dave

snare wedge

Post by Dave »

Use the snare wedge the same way you would use the rim of a normal size snare drum for cross sticking. Dave Randall
PM

cross stick

Post by PM »

Hello all - a post from the new guy. Bear in mind that I'm a very amateur player.

I have a 10" snare on my cocktail setup, and it's a bit anemic for cross stick effects. A workaround on my set that sounds ok is this - the snare and the main cocktail drum are quite close & at the same height. If I adjust them just right, I can hit both rims at once. Not ideal, but convincing enough at a distance.

Best wishes,
Pat

Post by Guest »

I've done that too. It sounds weak up close. Does it sound right in the distance?
mangorockfish

Crosstick

Post by mangorockfish »

Here is a trick I've used on a regular kit before. I mounted one of Remo's blue jam blocks on the bass drum hoop so it was a little above the top of the snare hoop and did a crosstick with the butt of the stick hitting the block with the bead in the center of the snare. Sounded great. Mount a block on the Cocktail Kit so you can do a similar hit and everything is good again. Good luck.
Mango'
jottesen

Another trick (club jordan)

Post by jottesen »

set your snr. dr. just a little under the main dr. (heigths)
then you can have your stick on the snr and hit the rim on main dr try different angle
god luck
jottesen :D :D :D :wink: