Bass drum hoop on floor tom?

SJB05

Bass drum hoop on floor tom?

Post by SJB05 »

2 part question: First, is there a major difference in sound between a bass drum head and the same size of a (floor) tom head? Like a 16" powerstroke bass head vs. a 16" powerstroke tom head? If there is, would it be possible to attach bass hoops and hooks using the long bass drum t-rods and the existing lug holes (i dont know what else to call em, cause i dont know what they're called)?
palacki808

head and hoops

Post by palacki808 »

I don't really think there is much of a difference in tom/bass heads other than size. Some bass drum heads come with a pad or patch to stick on where the beater hits it, just to make the head last longer. You can get pre-muffled tom heads just like bass drums these days.

As far as the hoop goes, most bass drums use a slightly larger lug than a tom. I assume this is to give room to grasp the thick wood hoop. There are however tension rods available with claws and wood hoops for toms that function just the same as a bass drum hoop. You can also buy 16" wood hoops with pre-drilled holes so you don't need claws or new tension rods.

http://drummaker.com/ , this site used to have the tom hoops and claws I was talking about. I don't know if they still carry these parts however.

http://amdrumparts.com/hoops.htm , this site has the pre-drilled hoops I was talking about earlier in the post. They are pretty nice. I had a 14' pair of these on a snare drum, but it didn't really make much of a difference in sound unless I was playing rimshots.

The best way I have found to get a good bass drum sound (or any other drum) is to experiment with different tunings. The drum can't sound any better than a cardboard box would if it isn't tuned. Its just like any other instrument.

Better heads can make a difference, but I don't know how much of a difference in sound you would get from a wood hoop as opposed to metal. That's my best answer to your questions, I hope this helped.

-Joe