FW - Are you selling that remix ride??

SJB05

FW - Are you selling that remix ride??

Post by SJB05 »

If you are, I'd be VERY intrested... Post back here if you're intrested.

Post by Guest »

I haven't decided. You know how it is with cymbals--when you find one you like, it's like ripping out your heart to part with it. I think with the remix, it would be like ripping off a thumbnail. I could probably do it, but I still like it for things like pit orchestras or quiet jazz, or if I'm playing rock, as a crash cymbal. The bell isn't so hot on it, but it's workable. Plus, if I build a new cocktail set, I'd like to use it again. At the same time, Michigan's economy sucks and money sounds good. What do you think would be a fair price? You might tempt me! I've got like 15 cymbals. I probably don't need to be such a cymbal junkie.
FW

Post by FW »

I ended up being guest on that last post. Sorry!

Will
SJB05

Post by SJB05 »

Man, i try to get everything is cheap as i can - im a haggler. It would probably be best for you quote the price your willing to part with it for. My first offer would, without doubt, be unreasonably low. So name your price, and ill see what kinda funds i can muster up, and we'll work something out. What size is it?
fw

Post by fw »

Yeah, I prefer cheap stuff to expensive stuff, too. Do you like to sell stuff for more than you paid for it, too? That is my problem. Probably we are too much alike to come to an agreement here, but just in case, it's a discontinued 17" Zildjian Remix ride. It's heavy for its size and looks like the A alloy with a ZXT hammering pattern topped with very heavy ball-peen sized markes in concentric circles on the top side. It isn't very much like the 18" breakbeat ride that they still make--I think instead of sounding like an electronically processed drum machine type cymbal like the breakbeat is supposed to, this one might be more for easy mic-ing an low volume versatility. The sound is pretty focused though--it's definitely a ride, although the crash sounds like a Paiste 2002. The bell just barely counts as a bell. The best thing I could say is it is "bell-like".

If you want to skip the dance, the lowest price I'd take for it would be $130 plus shipping and packaging, which I wouldn't gouge you on--it would just be the UPS price. I'd lose a little money on it, but it is used, so I'd live.

If you are like me, that is just slightly more than you want to pay but not so high that you can instantly say no.

I don't know if you know this website:

steveweissmusic.com

But they have some amazing deals from time to time on weird discontinued models. I saw an A Zildjian 16" flat ride for $60 new one time, for instance. That would have been a great cocktail cymbal. Also, if you can find any Wuhan dealers around, I've heard a good 18" crash/ride for $70. Mail order is a little tricky with Wuhans, though--they are like old K's in the sense that there is virtually no consistency from model to model, and mail order companies don't usually check to see if the cymbal sounds nice ahead of time. If you find a good one, though, like K's, you'll have a one of a kind, beautiful cymbal.

Also, I normally hate heavy crashes, but for cocktail purposes, 16" 2002 crashes make decent rides. They show up used on ebay all the time. I also like bottom hi hat cymbals as crash/rides, and if you don't already have a set lying around, bottom or top only hi hat cymbals tend to be underpriced on ebay. 18" Sabian B8 crash/rides work well, too, and respond well to a little tape on the underside. Those are really cheap on ebay.

What else--you know those crappy Pearl cymbals from the eighties that rusted up after a year? I used to hate them, but I heard a ride that had a huge dent in the bell, either from a hammer or from some putting the throne on it and sitting, and the dent turned it into an unbelievably beautiful dry ride cymbal.

Crappy cymbal also can be made cool with pro-mark rattlers--if a cymbal is a bit too crashy for a ride sound, putting a rattler on it and tightening the felts really tight can take a lot of the crashiness out. Tape can do the trick, too.

So, I think those are all of my cheap ideas. We cheapskates need to stick together now that ebay has turned all "used" gear into "vintage" gear and the prices are through the roof everywhere. It's weird that new stuff is by and large cheaper than used stuff now. I remember back in 8th grade turning down a 5-piece 70's Rogers set with 6 A Zildjian cymbals because the guy wanted $800 for it. Heck, I remember not buying my friend's beaten up Rogers Holiday three-piece with an 18" bass drum for $45 because I couldn't imagine anyone ever wanting to play an 18" bass. The funny thing is nobody else would buy it, either. Now it would be cheaper to get a Pacific all-maple or a Yamaha oak set than to buy either of those sets at collectors' prices. I haven't seen a music store with more than 5 used cymbals in their inventory in years, either. I'm only 30--I don't know why I'm so crochety already.

Let me know what you think about the cymbal--I kind of want to keep it anyway, and I won't be offended if you pass.
fw

check this out

Post by fw »

I just looked at the bargain basement cymbals at Steve Weiss:

ZILDJIAN AZUKA 15" CRASH CYMBAL W/ RIVETS (A20016)
DISCONTINUED MODEL, SPECIAL PRICING IN STOCK ONLY!!!
$86.00
ZILDJIAN K SERIES 18" RIDE CYMBAL (K0815)
DISCONTINUED MODEL, SPECIAL PRICING IN STOCK ONLY!!!
$139.00

I can't beat that! Two perfect cocktail cymbals dirt cheap. They've got a bunch of really big cymbals cheap, too, which are like crack to me--22" rides and crashes and 27" chinas for under $140.
SJB05

Post by SJB05 »

Yeah, im afraid i must pass on that. Tempting though... i want me a damn remix ride.