peace manhattan problems?

giorgis

peace manhattan problems?

Post by giorgis »

Hey friends,
I just this afternoon got a new peace manhattan set. It came with no instructions, so there is a bit of guesswork going on for me. I am having some trouble getting the bass beater to hit the bottom head. the drum sits up so high that the pedal can't sit on the floor and hit the bottom of the drum. i have tried increasing the angle, but don't want to get it so high that it won't stay adjusted. i think i am not doing something right. there is not enough knurlling on the leg for it to go down far enough, though, so i am not sure what else to do... thanks for any tips on how to put this thing together. if there are any on-line instructions, i would be grateful,

Giorgis
dinsdale

Peace manhattan height

Post by dinsdale »

Don't know if you got an answer but...It seems the Peace company are a little moronic when it comes to the legs. I bought a kit for my house and a kit for our band practices. The legs that came with my honme kit were really long! I compared themm with the practice kit for the band and they were about an inch and a half shorter on the practice kit. I ended up scraping the legs that Peace sent me and using regular floor tom legs. I have never looked back and the kit sounds great. A couple suggestions though. The inch or so separation between the main drum and the snare? Kill that idea. Go metal to metal and your snare will have a nice snap to it without being over-powering. Also, add some strips of cloth to the inside of the main drum. I kills the ringing and makes the base more full.

dinsdale
palacki808

Post by palacki808 »

I too had a Manhattan set. I noticed the same problem with my set as well as a few others. In stead of getting new legs for mine I just used small hose clamps to help keep the drum stable. A hose clamp from the local hardware store is roughly 75 cents and it can secure a slipping floor tom leg or a slipping cymbal or tom stand very well. Its a cheap fast fix that has worked great for me in the past.
Also what dinsdale said about a strip of cloth works great, especially a strip of felt. This holds true in my opinion for all cocktail and bass drums. Another thing you can do to improve your bass drum sound is use a beater that hits the drum flat. An old wooden beater with a slight edge cut on it works well. Its basically more of the beater hitting more of the head on every stroke.

-Joe