Four Freshmen Video on DVD-- "Easy Street"

buchhojl

Four Freshmen Video on DVD-- "Easy Street"

Post by buchhojl »

This is a collection of performances by the original Freshmen on the Ray Anthony television show back in the '50s. It is interesting for a couple of reasons-- both of which were discussed here over a year ago in separate strings: one about what the repertoire was for "cocktail gigs" back then; the other point of interest is the variety of cocktail sets which the Freshmen play over the several years which are documented in the video. Great archival footage.

You can find it at Half.com:
http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid=1281357256
jmettam
Site Admin

Re: Four Freshmen Video on DVD-- "Easy Street"

Post by jmettam »

buchhojl wrote:the variety of cocktail sets which the Freshmen play over the several years which are documented in the video.
Well, I got the video. There are a few great shots with the Freshman's 'Cocktail Kit'. A cool custom creation comprised of a stand (very much like todays rack systems) that holds a snare basket, two cymbal stands, and even a trombone and trumpet stand!

As far as 'documenting the variety of cocktail sets' they play... I'm not sure I get what you meant. There only is only this one kit on a few tracks, I have seen nothing else...

I have put up a page for Ross Barbour in the 'Cats:Past Players' section with some nice photos I found. I will also post a video in the Media section when I have a chance to get it into my computer.

buchhojl

Hold on, Everybody, sounds like I misremembered!

Post by buchhojl »

John:
I could have sworn I saw more than the one kit when I watched
that video; but it was on VHS tape, and over a year and a half ago.
I'm sorry if I got it wrong and mislead you. It's possible that I
misremembered-- conflating the video with the pics in the gallery in
the Four Freshmen's web site.
I'll tell you what, I've been intending to buy the DVD, but
haven't yet. If you're disappointed with it I'll buy it from you.
Let me know. Sorry,

John